Legendary Songstress Gladys Knight and Ashley Stewart Stores to Create Charitable Foundation

Gladysknightcdcover Ashley Stewart Stores, the leading fashion retailer for full-figured women, and legendary songstress Gladys Knight have joined forces in creating "The Ashley Stewart Stores Community Foundation."

Ethan Shapiro, President and Chief Executive Officer of Urban Brands, parent company of Ashley Stewart Stores, comments, "We believe that education is the cornerstone of human development. As a company we are committed to the education of the youth in our communities. There is an opportunity to help people in our communities through education. Be it at the grammar school, high school, trade school or college level. We want this foundation to provide people with the opportunity to have that chance."

Ms. Knight’s upcoming album, "Before Me," due October 3, 2006 on Verve Records, is a reflection of the things that the foundation stands for. Helmed by legendary producers Tommy LiPuma, and Phil Ramone, "Before Me" is a heartfelt homage to the great women of song who paved the way for Knight to become a legendary performer in her own right — Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Lena Horne, Dinah Washington, Nina Simone and Mahalia Jackson. Many of these artists were friends, mentors, and colleagues of Knight’s since the beginning of her career. "Coming up, I was an artist who wanted to watch, listen and learn," says Knight. "We had such wonderful people to look up to. They gave their all with love and respect for what they did in spite of society’s shortcomings at the time."

Aboutusimage Ashley Stewart Stores will collaborate with Gladys Knight and Verve Records to sell the CD with all of the profits from the sale in the Ashley Stewart Stores going to the foundation. Ron Goldstein,President and CEO of The Verve Music Group, remarks, "We are proud that Gladys Knight is making her Verve Records debut with ‘Before Me’ and pleased to support her alliance with the dynamic Ashley Stewart Stores and this very worthwhile charitable initiative, which is so much in keeping with everything Gladys Knight stands for." The foundation’s first charitable contribution will go to DRESS FOR SUCCESS, the international not-for-profit organization that assists more than 45,000 disadvantaged women each year as they transition into the workforce. Joi Gordon, CEO of Dress for Success, says, "Dress for Success first helps women to project a professional image, and then we empower women so they can retain their jobs, develop rewarding careers, and achieve self-sufficiency."

The collaboration between Ashley Stewart and Gladys Knight will also include personal appearances, to be announced at a later date, where Ms. Knight will conduct seminars in Ashley Stewart Stores
with the local Dress for Success affiliates. A star-studded charity event will be held on October 26th 2006 when Gladys Knight will perform at the Apollo Theater in New York City. The proceeds from that event will be contributed to the foundation. Ashley Stewart Stores is the operator of 200 + stores across the United States and the U.S Virgin Islands.

For more information contact: Ashley Stewart Stores

Comments

1. sonya simpson says

I would like to become a professional model for this co.
    My name is Sonya D. Simpson
    at 222 M.L.King Jr. Blvd.Sth.
    Pontiac MI 48342
    248-338-8937

2. sonya simpson says

I would like to become a professional model for this co.
    My name is Sonya D. Simpson
    at 222 M.L.King Jr. Blvd.Sth.
    Pontiac MI 48342
    248-338-8937

3. Tanya Harper says

Good Morning,
    I am extremely interested in becoming a plus-size model, spokes person, singer for Ashley Stewart and other organizations affilliated. What do I need to do?

4. Shevon Daley says

Hello,
    I am a 21 year old college student and I have always wanted to become a plus-size model but have not been able to find a way in. How can I go about doing that?

5. Tiffany Carter says

Throughout my whole life, I was always on the heavy side. I never thought that society would view plus size women as being beautiful. I am now 22 years old and very interested in being a plus size model for Ashley Stewart

6. Tai A. Pierce says

I have always been a fashion addict since I could dress myself,but I never thought I could be out there on the runway or in a magazine showing off my style. Although everytime I walk out the door it’s like a fashion show. To model for Ashley Stewart would be an absolute pleasure and a dream come true for me. It would be nice to show the world that plus size woman is here and she is not going anywhere.

I have always wanted to be a plus size model but never thought that I would get a chance. I watched an episode of Monique’s Phat Chance and I see that plus size models do very well over in Europe. Can you tell an amatuer like me how to get started

8. Aquilla Graham says

Hi,
    My name is Aquilla Graham from Tampa, Fl and I’m interested in being a plus size model. I wanted to know do you have any advise to give to me as how to go by doing this.
    Please respond my email address in above thank you and have a Happy New Year.

9. Karess Mayse says

Hi! I would DEFINITELY like to become a model for this company. My name is Karess Mayse at 130 Alburn Lane Bostic, NC 28018 (828)447-9696

10. Renita Shepard says

I WANT TO BECOME A PLUS SIZE MODEL FOR THIS COMPANY. PLEASE CALL ME AT 9105549532 IN JACKSONVILLE NC

11. ZINA HIGGINS says

I WANT TO BECOME A PLUS SIZE MODEL FOR ASHLEY STEWART PLEASE CALL ME @ 862-264-6009 IN PATERSON NJ

12. kiawana says

hi, i’m kiawana jones. I would be so delighted to model for the Ashley Stewart company. I do have some modeling experience and have done a few fashion shows. I am able to be contacted at 832.221.6827

13. TAYASHA says

I AM 23 YEARS OLD MY WICH IS TO BE A MODEL SO PLEASE IF ONLY ASHLEY STEWART.WOULD ONLY GIVE ME THE CHANCE I WOULD BE GLAD CONTACT:347-320-4555

14. TAYASHA says

15. Wendy says

Hi, My name is Wendy,
    I’m interested in becoming a plus size model for Ashely Stewart. I shop at Ashely Stewart all the time and I never thought that I would find a place where the clothes fit me perfectly. I’ve never had modeling experience but would love to learn. Being a model has come to mind many times growing up, but I’ve been heavy all my life and I thought that being heavy would be hard for me to become a model. I look at the pictures hanging up on the walls at the store, I know that I can be a model too. Please send me information about what steps I need to take to make my dream come true. I can be reached via cell phone at 317-987-0024 or my email address at wjg37@comcast.net. Thank you

16. janay says

Hi, my name is janay
    i’m interested in becomeing a plus size modle for Ashely Stewart for some time know i get all my cloths from there look i have hydrocephalus get it at the age of 9 im 20 so i had 7 brain surgery so now i have a va shunt i just want to modle can u help me there it will be a dream come true for a girl like.u can reached my cell phone at 313-772-1394 or harris4837@sbcglobal.net

17. Lupita says

Hello, I wanted to know how one goes about seeking any audition for a chance to model for the Ashley Stewart clothing line. If you could please email any information to my email it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for you time

18. mlovely says

Hello,My name is Martini.Im a Resident of Long Island N,Y.I’am part of a prgram called Momma’s House.It’s a organization that provides young mother’s with shelter,three healthly meals a day and a good environment for our children.I’m currently going to school for my GED then I will be moving foward to business school.I have two young children and after that I gained alot of weightand very low selfesteem.Momma’s House is helping me regain some of that confidenece back.Modeling for Ashley Stewart would mean the WORLD to me and to teach my daughter mommy may be big and hav some flaws but she is also BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

i would like to be a plus size model for this company. Please take a look at my page link and look at my pictures.
    Egypt

20. Janiris Banks says

It’s funny how I never thought I could be a model and I never dreamed of being a model. I have watched every next top model show and thought why is these girls wasting their times and about 2 weeks ago my good friend asked why I dont try to do it be a plus size model for Ashley Stewart so now I’m here trying to find out how do I become one. Now I would love at this time of my life for someone to contact me for the opportunity.

21. Olympia Billings says

Hi, my name is Olympia Billings
    I’m interested in becoming a plus size model for Ashley Stewart. I shop at Ashley Stewart all the time and when my friends and I go shopping I have to make sure there is an Ashley Stewart around. I never thought that I would find a place where the clothes fit me perfectly. I have had a little of modeling experience but would love to learn more with Ashley Stewart. Being a model has come to my mind many of times. As I look at the pictures hanging up on the walls at the stores, I know that I can be a model a model for Ashley Stewart. Please send me information about what steps I need to take to make my dream come true. I can be reach by email msbillings2002@yahoo.com.

22. Tiana Hines says

To whom it may concern,
    I have been a plus size woman most of my life and I have been asked to be a model but just wasn’t really sure if it would fit who I was as a person. As I found my purpose in life to start my own ministry to help others pursue excellence through health counseling and coaching, I realized that there was a need for me to be a role model/ spokes person for the plus size community and women in general face with daily struggles in the African American community. As a single mother and mentor to teen moms who face struggles every day, I realized that being a model will show myself, my son, little sister, and mentees that I have enough confidence to show the world that no matter how society perceives a person to be on the outside, that they are fearfully and wonderfully made because everyone isn’t alike and that its not by accident, but it through the will of God. I want to show them that what people say is their opinion because the law allows individuals to be able to voice their own opinion, but at the same time not to lack confidence and excellence because of it. I have and am taken responsibility to educate and empower the young women and older women of today to find their purpose and live it out to the fullest because life is too short and change needs to happen. My motto is that no matter what anyone thinks, you must love and enjoy yourself inside and out as your were created, because God creates no accidents.
    As I was looking back at the website for an update on the 2008 model call, I found out about the community program that Ashley Stewart started operating and I was not only impressed by the partnership’s, but by the community involvement that the company is apart of, so I would really like to get more information about how I can be apart of what you all are doing in the community.
    My Mission: To create an educational and working environment by setting goals to empower women in the community to pursue excellence.
    I do hope with that said, that there is a place for me within the mission for Ashley Stewart’s commitment to helping women in the community of the Metropolitan area of Washington DC and other places around the world.
    “It’s time for change, and I am ready to make it happen.”
    Peace and Blessings,
    Tiana Hines
    Holistic Health Counselor, AADP
    2944 2nd Street SE Apt#22
    Washington, DC 20032
    202-270-4054
    tiana.truefaith@gmail.com

23. Chaka Adwater says

Hi, I was approached in one of the Ashley Sterwart’s stores in Decatur, Ga. The lady thought i was a model for the store. my question to you would be; How do i apply to become a model for Ashley Stewart?

24. Donna Smith says

Hi, I love Ashley Stewarts clothes and accessories, I am a full figured woman who would love to model your clothes and represent the 50 and over woman. Please tell me how I can model for you.
    Donna Smith
    ltdsmithrn@aol.com

Hey I would like to become a Ashley Stewart model i have what it takes. Im experienced and I enjoy the attention and would like 2 get started with ya’ll ima 13/14 and its hard for me to land gigs cuz of my size but I think and know ya’ll r the 1s 4 the job so hit my email up asap officialJennaAonyai@gmail.com and ck me out on myspace.com/officalDivaJennaAonyai or http://www.JennaAonyaiCarnegie.exploretant.com as well as http://www.modelmayhem.com/691624. lookin forward in hearin from someone asap. Thanks and love and blessings.

26. Janeene Pollard says

Hi, my name is Janeene Pollard and I am interested in modeling for the company!! Please contact me and let me know what I need to do!

27. Kimberly says

To Whom it May Concern;
    I live in Houston, Tx and I have been trying for the longest to become an Ashely Stewart clothing model. I love Ashley Steward’s clothing line for curvy women and I would love to help advertise your merchandise. I love to take pictures and if you need me to submit any of myself please let me know. All i need is a chance. I am a single mother/college student and would like to better my family’s current situation. Your consideration would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    My contact info is: