PLUS Model Magazine Wants To Know, Does Size Matter? Take The Survey!

re: Survey

CLICK HERE!

Dear readers,

I first want to preface this post by saying,  I admire and love all the models that I have worked with and are currently representing the plus size industry. Without them, there would be no industry to speak about.  I have also been a huge fan of Crystal Renn for a long time and I admire all the work she has done to bring plus models into the main stream media. The reason for this survey, is for PMM to know and to share with our clients what you have to say, since there is so much conflicting information out there about the way plus size women feel about themselves and how they are marketed to.

It seems like every conversation I have with a model, retailer, designer or agent, the topic of “size” always seems to come up.

Ten years ago, plus size models were curvy size 12’s through 18’s and coveted magazine covers, national campaigns and advertisements. In recent years we have seen a drastic change in the size of the plus size model. Plus size models are no longer “plus size”, and as Crystal Renn explains it, they are now PLUS what the size of straight size models are in the straight size industry.

Agencies are pointing the finger at the clients, and the clients are pointing the finger at the agencies, and there has been no clear indication as to why things have changed so drastically. While I love the plus size models we have today, I do feel there is a significant void in the plus size modeling industry. We seem to be asking for the main stream industry to include us as REAL WOMEN, but “real women” also include size 16, 18 and 20’s, but only the smaller models are being considered as models.

Was this the original idea behind plus size models? Should plus size models BE plus size? Does the size of the plus model, matter? Does the size of the model, affect how you shop?

If modeling is about selling and about inspiring a woman to buy a product, can it be true that bigger models are not selling, or are brands just too scared to “LOOK” like a plus size brand? There is only one way for everyone to know, and it’s by voicing your opinion.

As we move forward to another year, we are eager to find out from you, Does Size Matter?

Click here to take survey

Comments

1. Limarie says

When I walk into a store for the plus sized woman or enter a plus department, I want to see someone who looks like me modeling the clothes. This is what catches my attention to a piece of clothing or outfit. This also is what inspires me to add more flavor to my style as a full figured woman. Clothing that I may have not have taken the time to look at because I thought it may not work well with my shape may get more attention if I saw it on a thick model. I love all of my smaller sized sisters but I think that it is crazy and annoying when I see straight sized models modeeling plus sized clothing. Why? Mainly because it is an unreal representation of what the clothing is going to look like on us. We are all different and we have more pronounced curves in certain areas, breasts, but, hips thighs, stomach, legs back…you get my drift. Our curves are a part of us therfore I’d like to see a variety of actual plus sized models modeling the clothes.

A size 14 in my book is not plus size its the average every day women. I agree with what Limarie said I want too see models that I can identify with and know I can go out and buy those pieces being show cased I appreciate seeing a bigger girl. I think the industry and retailers use average size models because its safe for them . They still are in their comfort zone. It would really be nice too see a model that is all the different sizes .

3. pat swift says

Crystal Renn is just an over sized size 8 model and I think it is shameful for her to call her self a Plus Model. I saw her on the View and she said that any model with a hip measurement over 34 inches is Plus Model, this is just not true. What about all the size 8 fit models that their hips measurements can be up to 38 inches. Crystal Renn is misleading the public and the allowing the designers to use their fit samples on her and state that they are using a Plus Model when in truth they are not. It is time that all Plus Women stand up and state that they know the truth. A real Plus Model is someone who wears the product.

4. Chellie says

What is shocking and discouraging is that even in plus-size stores, the mannequins are all smaller. I was in Lane Bryant this past weekend and noticed that all of the clothing on the mannequins was pinned in the back. Apparently these mannequins are too small for LB’s smallest size which is a 14. What’s up with that?

5. Erin says

Great article!

I honestly believe it’s about baby steps…20 years ago there wasn’t even a place for models over a size 8. While a size 12 or even 14 isn’t “that big” to many PMM readers, it’s still better than nothing. Also, (this may anger some readers by not being politically correct-sorry) the majority of the public does not want to see a morbidly obese “model”. Now remember, there is a big difference between athletic, plus sized, overweight, obese and morbidly obese. In my opinion, no one over a size 20 should model, seeing as that it totally contradicts the very definition of a model. Yes, all sizes can be beautiful (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but just like I don’t want to see a sickly anorexic, I equally have no desire to see an extremely overweight (and just plain unhealthy) woman model clothing.

Keep up the great work!

As a plus size mum – I want to see how the garment will look on me (even if that is a size 22 or 24!)

I understand from a marketing & media editorial view point a size 14 is going to look way more appealing (and be more accepted in the market place) in the garment – but there has to be a point where plus size clothing designers & manufactures along with their retailers make a conscious choice to represent their brand on real women, women who will wear the clothes!

I have curves & lots of them – clothes that hang beautifully on a 180cm size 14 (plus size model) look very very very different on me. I want to see the clothes I am paying good money for (after all I pay a premium for being plus size, I understand that more fabric is required, the small amount of additional fabric does not explain the cost – but that’s another issue) on some one like me.

If a large % of women are “plus size” then how about the media support to go with this women?? Don’t bash them for being overweight, fat or obese! I have started a brand of plus size clothing (plus maternity.com.au) for exactly that reason – I couldn’t find things to wear in Australia whilst I was pregnant.

I am now dealing with the media who want to “support” my range on a “skinny model”……………I am fighting so hard to get my product represented as a true plus size range, which is what it is (and no I don’t have skinny sample garments for photography purposes – plus size all the way!!)

7. Alice Schuette says

I actually don’t think much has changed in the “size” of plus models from 10 or so years ago to today. Some models are size 10/12 – while others are 16/18. You can see that while flipping through past issues of Mode. The plus size industry has the unique opportunity to employ models at varying sizes – which is the closes reality to what a woman is. We are not just a plus size “14” or a straight size “4”. We change and grow over the years. Our own bodies transform as we age or have children. And withing the straight size modeling industry – being a size 10/12 is huge – let’s face it – a size 8 in that industry is huge! Ultimately it’s up to the client to decide on what image it wants in it’s advertising. Because of the plus-size industry – clients now understand that these images can and should be of all shapes and sizes. To argue someone is not “plus’ enough is taking away the unique power of “plus sized” modeling – to be an industry embracing and representing all shapes and sizes – who are model material.

8. Libby Lenton says

9. Libby says

Its so great to see the changes that have happened regarding the size of models over the years. All that matters is being healthy and what I have seen on magazine covers lately doesn’t depict this at all, in fact some movie stars look quite sick. Model sizes need to depict the average size women and it isn’t a size 0 or 8 or 10 or even 12. Over the years our shape changes and what really matters is if we are happy with life – thats all that counts. Numbers don’t mean a thing.

10. Yvette Feinberg says

I’ve given up on the industry to reconize plus size women and I create my own style. Some of my clothes are tailored made and others are store brought with alterations tailored to how I want an item to look. I am comfortable with my girth size 22 and I wear heels and get just as much attention as my smaller sisters. The industry continues to make clothes for the human clothes hanger. When the industry reconizes the full figured woman, we will buy, buy, buy – the first designer that shows us they care about our curves, will be a success.

Size does matter. I have been working in this industry for over 20 years – OK folks, I am not afraid to date myself, and am represented in the industry as the standard PLUS size – an 18. Period. I worked as a fit model, a runway and showroom model and did editorial work. But I had measurements that I had to maintain. And they were to spec for a manufactor’s size 18.

I love the models in our industry. I love our industry. But I would love to see mainstream shows and editorial campaigns feature beautiful size 18 women, as well as size 16 and 20…..and, in addition, would not mind seeing a few of us “silver foxes” in these campaigns. Buying power is in the hands of the consumer – and that consumer is size 14 and larger – and is from “tween to 50, the new 40, which was last year’s 30!” So, it is true – everyone points the finger at someone else. But we, in our own industry, need to celebrate size 18 as the standard, the model, so to speak, for our models. If we believe and stand firm, can the rest of the industry do anything other than follow?

12. Soigne1908 says

Speaking for me, the model’s size isn’t the main determinant of what I buy. I live in California and shop brick-and-mortar primarily rather than the Internet. But I do like seeing models who have similar physical characteristics as I, like Tara Lynn and Fluvia Lacerda, both of which are probably around 16s.

And I remember Mode very well. Former subscriber (who still has some copies in my storage unit) and I recall they featured size 18 and above models — Dee Dee Knoche and Tomiko Peirano come to mind.

Keep in mind, though, we’re dealing with business and sometimes there’s an aversion to risk. They are focused on making money for their owners/investors/shareholders. And if 10-14 models bring in a higher amount of sales and that’s validated by market research, the industry will stick with it.

My name is Darryl Evans of Pure Enchantment Photography. I Love seeing plus size models because not only do they represent a large portion of women in the world today but there are also men who enjoy plus size models and prefer to see them represented in main stream too. I wish that the survey was geared toward men too but I will say my comments here. I think size does matter. I think that if the job is for a plus size model it should be a plus size model applying for and getting the job. When I see a plus size womens store and the girl on the add out front is a size 6 I think how does that make that size 18 girl feel. If the size 6 represents plus size then what size is she? And is that size acceptable? Lets get some plus size models out there in main stream again showing that being a plus size woman is not just a good advertisement for plus size stores but plus size women are beautiful!

I also want to add a couple of comments too. First I believe the same goes for men and yet there is less talk about plus size or king size men. I know that this is a plus size womens site and magazine but where are the bigger men? In this industry I hear lots of requests to team the plus size woman with the ripped man… Why not 2 pluses together???

Last but not least I want to say that I would love to see more pictures with class. I see lots of great pictures on here but when it comes to the outside world I see the focus on a plus size woman being her butt and her cleavage or just her face. There is so much more to these beautiful women! I just hate that there are photographers out there that claim to be supporters of plus size women and yet try to hide them in tons of fabric or just shoot the chest etc…

Thats my 2 cents. My face book site is http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pure-Enchantment-Photography/82116458269?ref

And my official website is http://www.pureenchantmentphotography.com/

Come by and check it out and become a friend. And know that you have our total support

14. marlo shannon says

I so love the nude photo of the plus size model. If you can have pregnant nude mothers on covers then why not a plus size female with all her naturalness (if thats a word) showing! I support this magazines
    existence to the fullest. I too am plus size and would love to be a part of it any way I CAN. keep up the good work.

15. Nikeya Young says

I’ll cosign to Maryellen:-). I am a beautiful, Freelance Plus Model & I’ve had a lot of significant accomplishments over the past 3 years. People are often shocked that I’m not signed to a modeling agency yet (Heck, so am I!). It’s all because I am 5″7 and a size 16. I just recently hit size 16, down from an 18. I’ve lost 18 pounds and 11 inches off my body over the past couple of months, and I plan to continue until I get all the way down to a 12. “NO! Don’t do that Nikeya! Then you won’t be a Plus size model anymore!” my Plus model friends typically say. Actually, I would. How scary is this industry when I could shrink another 50 to 60 pounds and still be considered a PLUS model?

I’ve just about given up on trying to understand this modeling industry’s IMPOSSIBLE standards! I can’t do anything about being 5’7” but if losing weight will get me working, and I’m certain it will, then that’s what I’m doing! Meanwhile, I do realize that I am GORGEOUS now:-). I realize that while the industry “may” grown more accepting of the size 16, 18, 20 models, they’ll only do it with the ones who are Amazons! And while 5’7″ is the average height of women in this country and not “short” by any means, I might as well be a midget to the modeling agencies.

SMH…while we’re pushing for size acceptance, can we push for women of all heights to be equally represented in the modeling industry too! SHEESH!

16. AmyLu says

I have been a plus size since I was a teenager from size 14-20. I know what its like to shop for clothes and look at the models wearing them. What you would hear me say is..I wish I was that small or had a body that looked like hers so I could buy that to wear. I knew from seeing the model in the clothes that it was not going to look good on me because of my shape. But now with having real figured models advertising…clothes should sell like crazy!!! Most woman including myself..would look at her and say…If she can wear it and look that good so can I. Woman checkout other woman..its just our nature to judge eachother. Everyone gains weight for different reasons in their life but that does not mean they are not still beautiful. Woman inspire other woman. We need more dept stores with “normal” sizes for the average woman. I will not go into to most clothing stores in the mall because I know they will not have anything to fit me. Im sure there are others that feel the same. I want to walk into a store like Lane Bryant that caters to me. But we need more to have a bigger variety. Most stores tell you to order their bigger sizes online. What a hassle…you do not get to try it on…see the color up close, feel the material or see how well it is made and will it feel right when you get it on. It comes in the mail..it doesnt fit..to big to small…now you take it back or send it back….It should not be this hard to buy bigger size clothes.

17. marlo shannon says

for me, i’ve always been taller and thickher than the other girls i hung out with even when i wasnt plus size. then somewhere in my early twenties i started tipping the scale. ok 14, 16. i could still find some
    decent but fashionable clothes in most stores, then i slowly moved up several sizes and gradually becoming disappointed in my findings. not that i welcome the weight but i when i went into the
    plus size fashion boutiques it was whack!. I mean we are all built different, I always compare the clothing sense at that time for “plus size ” was like they thought we all wanted to look like “Mrs Roper”
    from “three’s a company”. Big huge afghans, big floral print. I think the designers concept was were probably all ashamed of weight and just wanna be covered not seen. It was horrible and these are some of the big name plus size stores(u know who u are). I mean if you are a size 28 does it mean your size 28 all the way down to your ankles or wrist. Really?? However times are SLOWLY changing.
    the styles are more with the times and not drab. We definitely need more stores to cater to us, our money spend just the same. I dont love my weight or particular am fond of passing up the cutesy styles rack to get to the back of the store to find ‘MY stuff. But at the sametime I LIKE TO LOOK PRESENTABLE.’ I like my clothes to fit, not tight but fit every definition of a curve i have I want accentuated. the designers are stepping up there game. and for the record size shouldnt matter
    I got a friend who’ about 5″3 115 who doesnt want me to meet her boyfriend because she thinks he’ll be checkin me out. I’m married and get compliments and doubletakes from guys on a daily basis. I have confidence in myself and size, Does the fashion world have confidence in us.

18. Nikeya Young says

@ Darryl Evans – God Bless you!
    @ Amy Lu – That is SO true! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone into a store that “carries plus sizes now” only to be told “Oh sorry, we only have those online, not in the store.” How would straight sized people feel if they went into a store to buy something & got referred to a website?!! SMH…

19. Lakaya Peeples says

I’ve been size 6, I’ve been size 26. Currently I’m down to a 14/16. Finding clothes as a size 6 was easy…open a catalog, look at a pic and think “wow…look at the movement of that skirt” and order it. Same senario as a size 20…open up a plus size catalog…and it’s the same skinny, somebody needs to feed them size 6…and trust me…the clothes drape a bit differently on rounder figures. By the way…I’m 5’9″…once I find something that fits properly…then I have to worry about if it’s long enough…will it ride up when I sit down, etc.

So when I shop…I like seeing models that are shapely…different “shapelys” so I can pick my shape out of the lineup and see how the clothes fit…making me more confident that they will fit right on me.

One thing I have noted…different companies have different ideas of what plus size is…some put a built in fat pocket in the waist…which doesn’t work for everybody in the plus catagory. Where’s the extra room in the hip and thigh area…hello, that’s where some of us need extra room. This baby got back…not front. Some companies simply make the clothes a larger version of the smaller clothes…also doesn’t work. Lets not even talk about tops and dresses that assume that EVERY plus size is ample in the chest…some of us …are smaller.

Friend of mine was labeling folks…she says she’s “rubenesque” and I’m “amazonian”, before I could bother to feel offended…it occured to me it was accurate. I look like a fitness model only larger by sizing standards, taller by average standard, with long limbs. When it comes to clothes, frankly, regular clothes in a larger size look dumpy on me, plus size clothes that are designed for folks not built like me look like I borrowed someones ill fitting stuff and tried to play it off.

Mostly I wear gym clothes…cuz they fit…and stretch where I need it too. For church…tshirt and a skirt. If I see someone large like me with stuff that fit right I ask them where they get their clothes. Plus size models are important for plus size clothes. Just as smaller sizes have petites, and enjunue, and juniors….plus size clothing companies should have sizes differences based on shape….and a model that fit them.

Anyway…that’s my two cents worth.

20. Amy Chastain says

I want to see fat chicks in these ads. I am a fat chick and let’s face it, clothes look different on big girls than they do on thin girls. I don’t want to see a size 4 woman wearing a dress that I am going to buy in a 24. It just wouldn’t look the same. Our bodies are not the same. I frequent plus-size blogs, not even to see the fashion as much as to see different bodies in the outfits. I love to see women who look like I do. Since it seems out of the question to expect a blended ad or magazine or runway show, I insist on looking at large women wearing large clothes.

21. Raejean says

Hello, I took your Plus Model “survey” yesterday. Unfortunately, you managed to omit my entire age group, so I couldn’t select it. I pointed this out to “Survey Monkey,” who says it was YOUR mistake-they set them up technically and and they are not responsible for the actual content. And when I go to your website, there is no easily accessible contact information. So, I am reporting it here. Must be really scientific!

22. Anonamous says

I have worked in this industry for 10 years. First behind the scenes at a major plus retailer as an in-house showroom/fit model, as a print model with Ford since 2003, and now I work as a fit model freelance and thru an agency. I started as a size 18 and am now closer to a 20-I still have print clients I book thru Ford but they WILL NOT put me back on their official board (on website) ever since they ‘cleaned house’ and searched for thinner and younger models about 5 years ago- I will tell you right now it has a lot to do with the agencies own personal hang-ups however I also know that the marketing teams of the major plus retailers also have their personal hang ups also- they will out right ignore customers letters complaints about using such small models to feed their own egos and say they’re using ‘aspirational’ marketing.
    Nobody wants to be associated with fat chick brands so they have to make it as cool as possible.
    The problem is, I believe in skinny world it works to make people feel crappier so they spend more to feel better about herself…but it’s different for us. We already feel crappy a lot of the time about our bodies, we need an ego stroke to make us feel worth spending the cash ;-)
    we are psycologically different.

23. Tammy Blaker says

I think the problem is the small clothing may look bad when it is sized up. We have curves and plus size clothing should be made to let us look are best. If they are going to sell plus sizes then they should take the time to learn what looks best on a group of plus size women. We are not cookie cuts of each other.

Yes, Size does matter !
    W le Donne con le Curve, W la Vita !
    Women with Curves are the SUN of Life !

I guess 2011 will be the Year of Curves…

Greetings from Italy
    Aurè

25. Molly Roxx A.K.A. RoxxStar says

If I am looking online for a size 5x teddy I want to see it modeled by a 5x woman. I want to know what the item of clothing is going to look like on me. I see Lane Bryant catalogs with their little models. The clothes are draped over them like loose bedsheets and I find it rediculous. There is nothing wrong with being fat. Fat is an adjective, not an insult. I am a size 26/28 and I models quite succesfully. There is a whole underground BBW model world underground. It’s sad that we are kept hidded from the masses. I have made it my mission to social us and help us all leap right out of the closet.

26. Raejean says

I am turned off to the point where I will not buy plus-sized clothing from catalogs and retailers who don’t use larger women in their modeling, displays, and advertising. How are we supposed to know how we might actually look in the clothing? Granted, there is a sweeping diversity in body sizes and shapes even among plus-sized women (top-heavy, bottom-heavy, hourglass, apple, etc.), but demonstrating clothing on a size 10 or 12 model is just an invitation to customer dissatisfaction.

27. Melanie says

Hello Everyone!
    I so agree with what you all are saying, but I will add one other thing!!! I have another problem too, and my problem is that I am not short! I am 6’2″ and it is very hard to find plus size long enuf for me!! It may sound bad but what ends up happening to me is I have to buy them even bigger then what I am so that I can have them baggy enuff to look long enuf for me, and then I will say I hand wash them and never dry them in a dryer or they will srink on me!!! But also in my area we have yeah walmart, fashion bug and layne bryant, and that is manly it, I mean i love the cloths from fashion and layne but they are getting to be too much for me anymore and so I just don’t buy new cloths……. But I am glad that we are starting to see that there is more to live then living to be skinny!!! I love who I am and I don’t care what others say!!!! BIG IS IN!!!!

28. Andrea says

Hi, All,

I believe proportions matter more than size. I’m a pear-shaped plus size woman. It’s helpful to know what designs are better suited for someone my shape. Sometimes I get the impression that some designers don’t care about plus size women. Plus size doesn’t always mean out-of-shape or round. That’s the problem right there. There isn’t a clear understanding of what “plus size” means. There are some of us who considered “plus size” and yet are too small for “plus size” clothes. Others feel they are the “true” plus-size size. Yet, they measurements are mixed-matched and they have a hard time finding clothes. What I have a hard time understanding is why all of us who are beyond size 22/24 are slighted? We have to order our sizes “on-line”. O.k. Plus size stores only care the “fat skinny” women clothes. Well, if “plus size” means size 8 to a size 18, it makes sense. Hmmm….

I agree with Ms. Nikeya Young. It is amazing and a bit ridiculous what the fashion industry and society deems Plus-Size. I am a size 8 at my fittest, size 16 right now and a local freelance glamor and art model, and it is challenging to find photographers as well as designers who share the vision of the beautiful and healthy curvy woman, yet so rewarding when it happens.

A lot of folks want Victoria’ secret to stay “what it is” and not go Plus size, as Frederick’s of Hollywood is. Victoria’s Secret has lost me as a customer long since I was a teenager because they did not feature my size anymore. I often shop at Torrid because they always carry my size, and just recntly have gotten lucky with Hot Topic and some other stores leaning towards a larger variety of sizes. I just hope a few more retailers will soon catch on.