Is plus clothing too expensive?

Although the United States recession is no longer making headlines, the economy is still not where it was before it began to take a nose dive. Plus size clothing always seems to be a little pricey because of the use of fabric, yet we still have brands like Just My Size and Miss Tina offering bargain prices to the masses through Walmart/Walmart online and of course Forever 21+ who seems to keep their prices very low and market to the plus size junior market.

The topic of price is always something people speak with us about and I would love to know where you stand as a plus size consumer.

1) Do you only bargain shop?

2) What is your ideal price range for tops, pants and dresses?

3) Do you only shop online or in-store and online?

4) Do you like shopping at Boutiques, for better bargains on specialty items?

5) Would you pay above your range, for a good fitting and well made garment?

6) What brands do you shop the most and why?

Comments

1. Courtney says

I’m a struggling college student & trying to make my way into plus size modeling.

I usually shop at Torrid for Tops,dresses,& sometimes Jeans but the jeans r sometimes to short for me.

1. I try to bargain shop but sometimes is hard because the clothes don’t fit me right.
    2.My ideal price range would be $15.00-30.00
    3.In store and online
    4.Haven’t found a Boutique that fits me the way I like
    5.Yes
    6. I love Seven jeans fit me just right.Baby Phat I love the way some of the Dresses fit me. The brands I shop vary don’t have a favorite brand.
    7.I would to let them know Plus Size women love to be Sexy too hate when I see a beautiful dress or shirt. But it stops at a size medium just be fair across the board. If most designers thought outside the box they would make a lot more money catering to Plus Size women.

2. Stephanie says

1) Do you only bargain shop?
    No. But I am much more inclined to spend my money for bargain prices, even if it is on items I don’t necessarily need at the moment.

2) What is your ideal price range for tops, pants and dresses?
    -Tshirt type $20
    -Nice blouse/tops, maybe even nice sweaters $30. Would be willing to spend up to $40 if it’s a ‘gotta have it and can’t wait for it on sale/clearance because it’ll be out of my size by then’.
    -I feel the jeans you find today are worth about $30/40. I only spent $80 on a pair of jeans once, and will never do that again (it ended up not even being worth it). And what I mean by “jeans you find today” as in about 5 years ago Torrid sold a certain brand/style of jeans that I still wear to this day, and cannot find them. There’s something about the fit, wash & style that are perfect, and I have never been able to find another brand that makes them just like that (also cannot find them through the manufacturer, nor on Ebay). If I could find those same exact ones again, including in that same dark wash, I’d be willing to pay probably $60, even more, and I would buy several pairs (only if they were EXACTLY to a tee what I was seeking).

3) Do you only shop online or in-store and online?
    -Given how inconsistent sizes are, I very rarely ever buy clothing online. Usually the only exception is if I have an item and want the other colors it comes in, knowing the fit & style will be the exact same. The only item I will blindly buy is lingerie because there isn’t much in the local stores to try on first.

4) Do you like shopping at Boutiques, for better bargains on specialty items?
    I can’t say I’ve ever noticed a different in prices???

5) Would you pay above your range, for a good fitting and well made garment?
    Yes, always. But the chances of finding *my* definition of good fitting and well made are very very slim. I don’t entirely fault the brands for this, but I do find myself sometimes questioning who they base their measurements on. Even Lane Bryants “custom” fitting jeans aren’t nearly as good as those ones from Torrid that I mentioned. Each of the 3 shapes has something wrong with it for my body.

God no. I would never. I barely even like to buy clothing online, let alone from a foreign country.

6) What brands do you shop the most and why?
    Torrid- majority of the time they have the colors and styles of things that I want, but would shop there more often if the prices were lower.
    Lane Bryant- I usually only end up buying a few items here in a year. They are more geared at the (IMO) trendy mom type, and while I could be in that age range, I don’t quite want to look like that. So you’ll never catch me buying entire outfits from there. Just the occasional top or pants to pair with something from Torrid.
    Debs- for price. They definitely aren’t known for their quality, so I buy things knowing the item will be worn quickly, or knowing 95% of the time there is some sort of craftsmanship defect to it (even if only slight). All of my tight fitting layering camis (that will *always* go under other clothing) always come from here. On occasion I’ll find a ‘going out’ club/bar type of top that I’ll buy. But their regular everyday tops always have weird shapes to them (I REALLY question who they base their measurements off of).
    Just My Size- for price. IMO, they are sort of like the middle step between Debs and Lane Bryant. They are higher quality than Debs, but geared at that ‘semi-trendy mom but still plain’ crowd. So for a decent price I’ll also buy my basics from them.
    Danskin- found at Walmart. I will say this was the first ever clothing line from Walmart that when I tried on their bottoms I thought to myself they must have gotten their measurements from me. Majority of their clothing is meant to be for active use, but their crops/capris, shorts and regular long knit pants have made their way into my everyday clothing attire and for a very reasonable dollar amount.

-The number one thing being that I just don’t understand why plus size clothing always has to cost so much more. I totally understand that the difference between my 16/18 size and the 8/10 sized girl is more material used, but really, a $15+ difference? I don’t think so. I would entirely be okay with each size being a different price, based on the actual amount of material used. I just don’t think it’s okay that anytime I walk into a plus sized store I already can assume the clothing is going to be minimum $15+, even if I’m only 2-3 sizes away from being able to shop in the regular department.
    -Also, lately as I have been losing more weight I am becoming increasing frustrated with the sizes that are available. At one time I bought everything in 22/24. Then it went to 18/20, and now I can wear some stuff in a 16. What about the 16/18 folks? A lot of times 18/20 will be too big and make me look frumpy, and the 14/16 isn’t even a size I have dared to try on yet. So I’m stuck. I would much prefer to just simply have 14, 16, 18, 20 in single sizes and so on. When I find something hanging on a rack that I like, I am much more inclined to look through the sizes if I know they are single sizes. All of the smaller people have a lot of single sized clothing, why not us?
    -I really wish someone would realize the need for the ability to sell our plus sized clothing, and to also buy used (but fairly current trendy) clothing. I’m in Cleveland Ohio and we have Platos closet here which is all of the above except the plus size part. I think they max out at 14/16. What is all of my 22/24 clothing doing? Sitting in my closet collecting dust. Sure you could donate this stuff, and call me greedy, but I can’t justify donating tons of pieces of clothing purchased for $30+ a piece just a few months ago. I have SOOO much clothing that I’d get rid of in a heartbeat if I could. Do Ebay? Sure, if you have a week to go through my entire closet, and create the postings, and take pictures, and risk the items not selling and having to pay fees on them, and then also take another week after everything sells getting all the items ready and boxed to ship. Even trying to sell on a place like Craigslist would be daunting sorting through everything and getting the pictures, and the listings, and coming up with prices… and then dealing with no-shows that are supposed to come and take a look at your clothing. Even if it only meant getting $5 in cash or $10 in store credit on each item, I’d still do that in a heartbeat with a LOT of my clothing (or hell, get rid of the cash option, just to start only allow store credit….. that’s a done deal for me!) Not even necessarily clothing that doesn’t fit me anymore, but sometimes I just end up changing my mind and don’t have the receipt, or it’s past a 60 day return. One day when the resources are possible I will definitely be opening up my own buy/sell used clothing store in the area. But maybe one of these big wig places can get it done before I do, and help me out with my clothing buying budget ;-) Big retailers like Best Buy implemented their own trade-in program, why can’t clothing stores?

1) Not always, but a lot of what I buy are things that are on “sale”.

2) Tops: $10-15, pants $15-30, dresses $20-50

3) I would buy more in-store but there aren’t a lot of brick and mortar stores that carry sizes I can wear (I wear a 20-24) to make it worth it. But I hate having to pay for shipping for items that stores sell ONLY online (like Old Navy, only having their plus size line online?? WTH is that!?)

4) In my experience boutiques are very expensive, so I pretty much never shop at them.

5) Probably not, unless it was extraordinarly unique and well made. If I knew I couldn’t get this item anywhere else and I was in LOVE with it, I might pay more for it, but it wouldn’t be a common occurence.

5) Yes. Almost all of my clothing comes from overseas if I buy it online. The only places I can think of that carry my size and I like in the US are: Domino Dollhouse, Forever21+ (but their size range is SMALL), and Torrid (but they are too expensive for the quality/style). I wish that H&M plus sizes were sold in the US, I still don’t understand why they aren’t.

6)Domino Dollhouse: I LOVE them. They have clothing styles that I really like. The pricing is not incredibly outrageous, customer service is EXCELLENT, and they give discounts to frequent buyers.
    Forever21+ because they are actually fashionable and are priced within my budget. The quality isn’t the greatest, and there are ethical issues I don’t like about the company, but I will sometimes shop from them anyways.
    Asos: their curve line sometimes has stylish items but the price is just ridiculously high for the stuff, plus their shipping takes FOREVER. I only buy sale items from them.
    Evans: same as Asos, except they have much faster shipping. Also only buy sales items from them.
    Torrid: Because they go up to a 6x. They are too expensive though, and Their style does not vary much. I only buy sales items from them.
    City Chic: They have cute clothing, but again WAY overpriced. Also they have sizing issues. Only have purchased sale items from them.
    Yours Clothing: They have a wide selection, and sizes up to 36 I think. Their items are also expensive, but when they have sales they are decent. I have only purchased sales items from them.

7) Variety in cuts, shape and length. Not all fat people have large chests, not all fat people are 6ft tall etc. Perhaps offer PETITE sizing?? Straight sized lines do this, it is not unreasonable.
    More brick and mortar stores that carry plus sizes! What would be ideal is if every piece of clothing was offered in a size 0 to 36. Make 36 the new XL, I know this would probably cost more, but it also means more sales. I do not understand why so many clothing lines refuse to make clothing over a size 16! There are plenty of people over a size 16, why cut out your market?
    Also, the price. I understand having to have another fit model will cost more money. Using more material will cost more money. But some of these prices are ridiculous, especially when the quality and style is taken into consideration. People that wear a size 3x and up are basically forced to buy whatever is available at outrageous prices and horrible quality. This is really wrong.

4. Chalese says

1) Do you only bargain shop?

2) What is your ideal price range for tops, pants and dresses?

Ideal price range for:
    tops: $10 and under, 15 if I really like the top, 20 If I just have to have the top
    pants: preferably $10 under , will do $15 and under, but will spend $20 for a really really nice pair
    dresses: $20 under. ( I don’t wear dresses often) will spend $30 to $50 if for a special occasion

3) Do you only shop online or in-store and online?

in store and online.

4) Do you like shopping at Boutiques, for better bargains on specialty items?

I do not shop at boutiques

5) Would you pay above your range, for a good fitting and well made garment?

It depends on how much I like the garment; yes.

I have never shopped overseas. I don’t know of any overseas sties.

6) What brands do you shop the most and why?

I don’t shop for a particular brand. I go for whatever fits according to my liking.

I look for SIMPLE, COMFORTABLE clothing. I don’t care too much for prints. I don’t like paying a lot for my clothing. Clothing can get messed up quick, and you can grow out of it quick so I don’t invest a lot of money in my clothes.

5. tazlovesfashion says

1) I try and bargain shop a lot because I like variety. I hit the clearance racks and buy off-season a lot. That way I get more bang for my buck. I love places like TJ Maxx and Marshalls – I can usually find quality for less.

2) I guess it depends on the occasion for each. I pay more for work clothes because I tend to buy classic cuts that are timeless (pants/skirts between $50 & $100 but the original prices may be higher). I pay much, much less for casual clothes because this is wear I show a lot of variety and trends.

3)Both

4) I haven’t found any boutiques for plus size clothes that I care to frequent.

5) If I truly loved the piece and if it was something that would last.

5) I haven’t ventured to overseas shopping because it seems such a hassle if the fit isn’t good and I have to return it.

6) I’m not brand loyal. I look for flattering cuts and fabrics from whomever is producing that season.

7) Plus size girls need good undergarments so when cutting clothes be sure that we can wear the proper undergarments with it . Also fabric choices matter, choosing fabrics that don’t bunch or bind or show every dimple is more appealing.

6. Coley says

1) Do you only bargain shop?
    I don’t only bargain shop, but I am swayed and tempted by bargains.

2) What is your ideal price range for tops, pants and dresses?
    tops – 20-40
    pants – 40-60 (but I have gone up to 90)
    dresses – 30-60 (but I recently went 140 for local designers limited style)

3) Do you only shop online or in-store and online?
    I do not only shop in-store or online. But I do a lot of online shopping.

4) Do you like shopping at Boutiques, for better bargains on specialty items?
    I love shopping at Boutiques, but haven’t noticed that the prices were better than online.

5) Would you pay above your range, for a good fitting and well made garment?
    Yes, I would. However, not always – but it depends on the item and occassion. Like, I will pay more for a jacket that will get a lot of use, or jeans. But not usually for a top or something like that.

I do shop overseas – citychic and evans, when they’ve had a sale, or a deal on shipping.

6) What brands do you shop the most and why?
    This is tough, but I’d say recently, I’ve spent the most at Torrid.com/stores and that’s because the styles and the availability. I love other brands, but they aren’t as accessible to me.

7) What comments do you wish brands, designers and boutique’s to know about your shopping experience and what you are looking for? Please offer denim in more tall sizes. Countless stores only offer the basic denim in tall sizes!

1) Do you only bargain shop? Yep! Sure do! The piece must be to-die-for for me to pay full price, and that’s extremely rare. I usually wait until something is on sale and then use a coupon code for an additional.

2) What is your ideal price range for tops, pants and dresses? $10 to $30

3) Do you only shop online or in-store and online? Mostly online, but occasionally in stores

4) Do you like shopping at Boutiques, for better bargains on specialty items? I don’t think the words “boutique” and “bargain” belong in the same sentence.

5) Would you pay above your range, for a good fitting and well made garment? If it was absolutely amazing, maybe.

5) Do you shop overseas for plus size clothing you feel you can’t find in the US? No. Shipping costs are outrageous.

6) What brands do you shop the most and why? Torrid, even though it is expensive, they do additional 50 percent off clearance, haute cash, and other promos — that’s when I buy. Plus they almost always have my size. I also pick things up at WalMart, Target, Macy’s, OneStopPlus, DominoDollhouse, Old Navy and eBay.

7) What comments do you wish brands, designers and boutique’s to know about your shopping experience and what you are looking for? I wish more stores carried an extensive plus selection. I generally buy online from brick-and-mortar stores because they don’t carry the extended sizes in-store, or if they do carry them, they’re all snapped up by the time I get there, especially the larger sizes. Plus, a lot of brick-and-mortar stores have plus size online exclusives that you can’t find in-store.

8. Hannah R says

1) Do you only bargain shop? mainly

2) What is your ideal price range for tops, pants and dresses? $10-20 for tops & pants, $15-30 for dresses

3) Do you only shop online or in-store and online? in store currently

4) Do you like shopping at Boutiques, for better bargains on specialty items? not really any available in my area

5) Would you pay above your range, for a good fitting and well made garment? slightly, but no more than $30 for a shirt unless absolutely necessary for a special occasion

5) Do you shop overseas for plus size clothing you feel you can’t find in the US? nope, but I would… just not currently shopping online

6) What brands do you shop the most and why? Walmart & Kmart mostly. I love Catherine’s but they are pricey and Lane Bryant is a joke!! They are only “slightly plus” in my opinion! I am a size 24 pants with a big tummy that needs covering, and Lane Bryant/Avenue stuff usually does not work

7) What comments do you wish brands, designers and boutique’s to know about your shopping experience and what you are looking for? PLEASE please please, get reasonably priced clothes that FIT. I am beyond tired of ENORMOUS arm holes and too-short shirts. I don’t know hardly any plus size women, and believe me I know a lot of them, who need gigantic armholes. I can’t even find a tank top that I don’t have to put a smaller tank under so it doesn’t show my bra and so many shirts are way too short. I would think most big women want to minimize emphasis on their booties and stomachs, but my tummy always has to hang out unless I shop Catherine’s. Also please make “cute” stuff for big girls. We younger gals want the same stuff with popular/trendy characters and styles as skinny girls! Even the trendier stores don’t seem to carry Hello Kitty, Twilight, etc. Basically, we want the same stuff as skinny gals, just MAKE IT TO FIT us! :)

btw I’m 25, and a size 24-26 jeans (usually) or 2x/3x stretch pants and a 50F bra

9. knj says

Is it just me or does Target’s plus size and XXL run consistently small? They have great clearance but it rarely fits.

10. Shalonda says

I love Lane Bryant, but I will only shop there with coupons because they are way too expensive. For instance, I went to LB this past Saturday during their 40% off of everything sale and for a $132.50 I walked away with only four blouses and one bra. To be honest I still feel a bit cheated.

I love Ashley Stewarts as well, their prices are reasonable, but they should offer more coupons without the restrictions.

11. Ivonne says

I love to bargain shop I just love the feeling of getting something great at a super low price and it also feels good when I get complements when wearing it, I’m not fan of shopping online because it takes away the fun of entering the fitting room to try on things and start playing with looks although I did buy my wedding dress online, was ordered overseas and was a great bargain like a dream come true! I like LaneBryant a lot because their pants and long sleeved tops fit me like a charm so I try to always buy from their clearance racks or when they have the 40% all over the store also like fashion bug a lot because thy are less expensive than LB but all their pant run a little short for me because I’m 5’11” and they don’t carry the tall sized pants. But to be sincere I but clothes at Walmart, Kmart, Target, JCP, LB, Fashion Bug, The Avenue,Ross, Burlington Coat Factory, etc, any place where I can find a good price and good quality after all the clothes make m e look good but I make the outfit look stunning :)

12. Casey says

1) I don’t only shop bargains, but I do my best to find things on sale.

2) Max prices (ideally) – $20 for tops, $30 for pants, $50 for dresses.

3) I buy in store whenever possible. Some things are necessary online purchases (even then, it’s difficult to find a size G bra). But I find that ordering things online always ends badly. I follow my measurements perfectly and still end up with clothes that are too big.

4) I don’t think I’ve really spent enough time in boutiques to notice.

5) I have on occasion, but it generally has to be the most comfortable thing ever for a very important occasion.

5) I’ve never shopped overseas. Until very recently, I’ve been the sole income earner in our family, and there’s no way we could afford it.

6) i don’t really have a favorite brand. I used to love Torrid, but their clothes started to be so frilly and pink, and girly, I just couldn’t do it. Same with Lane Bryant. For awhile, I really liked it, but not so much lately.

7) Having a big bust doesn’t mean I want to show it off all the time. Big girls should have the same choices as the skinny ones. We don’t need the extremes of scrubby house clothes, or middle aged receptionist. I love tshirts, I love cargo pants, brands like Tripp. So many stores I go into seem to cater to the 60+ set. Also, I worked at a fabric store, and I’ve been sewing all my life. The price increase is arbitrary and ridiculous. The extra two inches don’t cost $10, and bigger items are generally easier to sew. Don’t screw us over and force us to buy whatever you decide is best.

13. Jacqueline says

) Do you only bargain shop? Not at all! I do like a good bargain but will buy what I want too. The problem is where I will be able to bargain shop 5 to 6 times a month I may only be able to buy the more expensive stuff once every couple months.
    2) What is your ideal price range for tops, pants and dresses? Top for me range 10 to 30 pants I would like to pay 15 to 30 dresses for me and my size I could average from 40 to 80.
    3) Do you only shop online or in-store and online? I do both. Most of my online shopping is specialty items for my size or holiday clearance. My in-store shopping is usually needs with a few wants in between
    4) Do you like shopping at Boutiques, for better bargains on specialty items? I do not like boutiques due to the prices I have yet to find one with a decent price that I can’t find anywhere else. Heck I would settle for an average price but seem to not even get that. Way to inflated
    5) Would you pay above your range, for a good fitting and well-made garment? My price range is pretty high so no I would not go above it.
    5) Do you shop overseas for plus size clothing you feel you can’t find in the US? Yes, 90% of my online purchases are online
    6) What brands do you shop the most and why? I don’t have a brand. I buy what I like that looks well.
    Im a size 26-28 and a definite fashionista. I love to trend set. Overseas is the best for making sure you don’t step out looking like anyone else. However there is one site that has matching clothing for both small and big gals. That site is Maurices.com. Big women want to wear what little women wear too. Most of the time I am dressed better that a small chick. But is they are wearing something I like I want it too. That the biggest issue. Most sites limit their plus size to 24 or smaller. That’s crap. Lightinthbox will custom make items so I like them too but the price is not really where I want it to be. Women period spend money why not get all you can by catering to the “bigger” demographic.