Former Plus Model Crystal Renn Backpedals

Crystal Renn and Zac Posen at the Met

Last week there was much chatter about Crystal Renn’s newly slim shape as Zac Posen’s date at the Met. Reactions ranged from betrayal  to glowing admiration.  Renn said, “I think that by placing a title on my head, which is ‘plus-size,’ and then the picture that these people have created in their mind about what plus-size actually is, I’ve basically failed you just with that. Because I couldn’t possibly live up to that, and at this point in my life I would have to actually have another eating disorder to live up to that expectation. I had anorexia ultimately because someone else set the standard for me and I wanted to follow it. And if I followed what the public wanted from me or what the media wants from me [to be plus-size], I’d be doing the same thing.”

Two years ago Renn told ABC she was able to achieve her former missy model “hungry girl” state by dieting  and eating as little as 600 calories a day with compulsive exercise.  Maintaining her single digit model weight has to be as difficult now as it was back then, perhaps even more so as she ages.

Are we supposed to forget she had an eating disorder? She can no longer be classified as plus size but her way of distancing herself from a plus size label smacks of duplicity. It was her plus size beauty that catapulted her to fame and now she wants to abandon her plus size fan base.

The plus size community is known for its loyalty. I recently had a conversation with a garmento who raved about the allegiance of plus size customers. Michael Gross, author of  Model: The Ugly Business of Beautiful Women thinks “the stauesque brunette is ‘fair game’ for the criticism she’s received. She’s cashed in on gaining weight and now she’s losing weight.  I don’t know whether it’s hypocrisy but it’s worth making an observation about.”

It’s not the first time we’ve been abandoned by the likes of Star Jones who couldn’t come clean about her bypass or Jennifer Hudson who refused to tell Oprah how much weight she lost.  The plus size community will support its celebrities even if you lose weight, just stop the backpedaling.

Comments

But then again – where is Star Jones? Where is her TV show? Also, Jennifer Hudson – she is all over the Weight Watchers commercials, but where are her movies?

So true!!! What makes me even more angry is the fact that there was such ease in the way she back peddled. Her statement implies that her weight gain was just as destructive as her weight loss. Really? She had an eating disorder by her own admission. Coming into a more natural, healthy weight is not destructive and her statement eludes to being so. Her statement may speak volumes to the residual effects of her disorder rather her now more “enlightened” point of view.

The plus community held her up, supported her and fought battles publicly on her behalf. I am disappointed but not surprised. We may have revered her and made her our Icon when she never really wanted to be. In her head she was and still is the size 0 model that needs to break free, Its ok if she feels that way but she has to be reminded her curves catapulted her to stardom, not the lack of them.

3. karen teulon says

I hate the fact that Crystal is going back on everything she said that made her famous and made her money. The whole story behind the Hungry book, was that to be at her healthiest, physically & mentally, was when she was “plus size”, and a size 12 – 14. Now we can only assume a return to her eating disorder and excercise addiction, as by her own words, the figure she now has is not something she could ever achieve healthily

4. Chubbydiva says

Happens all the time, plus size women get famous, then lose weight. Why don’t some of them just say no to Weight Watchers and Jenny, and continue to be our plus size role models ?

5. Caitlin says

Its kind of off topic but the dress she is wearing is gorgeous!! But ultimately she would have looked better in it a few years ago as the healthy plus size model :)

Why do we need someone outside ourselves to validate our worth? Who cares what CRystal is doing in her life!! She is living her dream the way she knows how. Let’s focus on accepting our own selves and stop looking to others to make us feel good enough. That is the cruxt of it all –Love yourself on your own terms.

7. PLG says

The back pedaling will continue… how sad.

Natalie L, I agree, to accept our selves and love ourselves on our own terms. Thanks Deborah for the post. You always get the ball rolling!