Toni Braxton Fat Shaming Her Sister on Braxton Family Values?

In season two of Braxton Family Values, Episode 11, the Braxton sisters believe they require counseling due to the fact that they just can’t seem to get along. The counseling session was supposed to bring issues to the table about why they are continually fighting. Everything was going well until Toni addresses her sister Traci. “I want Traci to lose 20-40 pounds now and stop thinking that her tummy sticking out like that is hot, ’cause it’s not.”

Needless to say, we are extremely disappointed, as I’m sure many of Toni’s plus size fans are. Traci’s weight can’t possibly be a reason as to why they are not getting along. What was even more shocking was the fact that no one could understand why Traci was immediately defensive and hurt by the comment. How would Traci losing weight make for a better relationship with her sister? I’m almost inclined to think that maybe Traci is right about feeling like she does not belong.

Traci may not have Toni’s figure, but she is beautiful in her own right. It’s perplexing that Toni Braxton would make Traci’s weight an issue when the family is plagued with plenty of REAL issues.

We can only hope that Toni Braxton thinks about the serious issues the family is facing, and not on her sister’s plus size frame.

Comments

What is perplexing to me is that the doctor, who is obviously overweight, seemed to think that this was an ok comment. I totally agree I don’t think Traci losing weight could possibly make for a better relationship with her sister. And 30 to 40 lbs? She’d be skinnier than Toni. I think the label they have given her says a lot too about how they feel about her, “The Wannabe”. Ouch, that is hurtful too. I don’t watch this show and from watching the 15 minutes here, I definitely have no intention.

2. Editor-in-Chief, Madeline Jones says

I totally agree with you Moe! I was waiting for someone to say something but instead they all looked at Traci like she was wrong for feeling attacked. I’m so disappointed and not a show I will be watching from now on. I was already annoyed with Tamar and her antics, now I’m just DONE.com!

You know, I stewed over this because, like the rest of you, I thought Toni was WAY out of line in suggesting Traci to lose weight (as if that somehow would improve their relationship). The only rationale I can think of is that perhaps Toni thought that Dr. Sherry’s office was the only “safe space” where she could express this. But even so, it was really unkind of her to say that and Traci was right for exploding like she did. Traci might not be as slim as her sisters but, as I blogged not too long ago, she is far from fat and needs to stop hiding in the background.

4. Lyric says

@Madeline – I don’t think you should stop watching the show or never begin to watch it. Because the show raises these types of topics for discussion, is all the more reason you should stick with it. Its a real family that is putting their very real issues on display and I’m sure your readers have experienced something in their lives that directly correlates to what we see on the show. With that said, Toni was dead wrong and shallow for the comment. Traci was completely and totally justified in her reaction, and they absolutely treat her like an outcast. I’m now curious to see if and how they plan on changing that behavior now that they all know once and for all how she feels.

5. Chyna your Curvy Life Coach says

It hurt me too my heart to see Toni do that to Traci…But it’s been rumored that Toni is evil at times and she just proved it!
    I totally agree with Moe about the Doctor, I thought she should have stood up and stop Toni and consider Traci feelings a little more but then again it is reality TV…With that being said this is why I strive to enlighten and encourage my plus size clients and friends that loving oneself bets out anything on any given day..God Bless Ladies

6. Cynthia S. says

I do believe that Traci should have choosen a more mature way to express herself more so because her mother was in the room. However, Toni was wayyyyy out of line!!!! Did she ever stop to think that she might be too skinny? I am just saying….. It is easier to point out what your preseption of someones flaws are than it is to point out your own true flaws! Work Them Hips And Thighs Traci!

7. Yinda says

I also watched that episode. I don’t understand why Toni feels that Tracie’s weight would improve their ”sister” relationship? I think that the issue there was far more than the Tracie’s weight. All of the other sisters have their own imperfections but I don’t see Toni using that has an excuse. I don’t think it was the time or place for Toni to bring up Tracie’s weight, there is more to the whole issue, but Toni is using Tracie’s weight has an excuse. But I would say that Tracie would have better expressed herself has an adult, I understand she is very angry and upset not just about Toni’s comment but about other things too. Please keep in mind that anger is a secondary emotion but when it comes to Tracie’s feelings the primary emotion is rejection and worthlessness. But Tracie should find every possible way to let down her anger and express true herself in a mature way, so she doesn’t look like the crazy one or what they labeled her to be ”The Wannabe”. Tracie is beautiful and unique, she has a lot to offer but she needs see herself the way God sees her.

8. Piper says

I really don’t understand the therapists, but maybe she knows something that I don’t. I think they are doing this for ratings, and I would really be disappointed if it got worse. I don’t know how to keep up with the show because there are so many Braxton sisters. I’ve got faces to match Toni (of course), Tamar, Towanda and Traci but who is the other one? Also, I don’t think it was fair to Traci, the comments I was hearing. Plus, she’s not even fat. I think Toni is out of touch with reality. The average American woman is a size 14 and larger and Traci looks to be about a 14. So what if her stomach sticks out a little. There are more important things to do (and watch). RHOA (Real Housewives of Atlanta). Now that’s a good show.

9. Mariska says

Well I love Toni! But I do agree that it was out of line, but I think Toni is telling her that because maybe she’ll let her sing background more. That was wht Traci wanted, wasn’t it? But I do agree this was not a time and place to bring this up. On the reunion on March 29, they are probably going to discuss this and Toni will explain what she was thinking. But at the end of the day, I’m still a huge Toni fan! Go Toni!

10. Tracy says

I’m also a huge Toni Braxton fan but wrong is wrong and she was totally out of line. Due to Toni’s evilness and the other sisters not standing up for Traci, I will no longer purchase Toni’s music nor will I watch the show. I suggest that all Toni Braxton fans reevaluate the message here. It’s very clear and if anyone feels that Toni was right for saying this to her sister on national television, I feel sorry for these people. Even though Traci wants to sing back up for her sister, it was not the time or place for that type of humiliation. Ratings or no ratings, I couldn’t hurt my sister in this way. And sadly, Traci continues to kiss up behind them being the outcast. I even notice how Towanda totally ignores Traci and rarely talks to her. That treat her as though she has some type of problem and they are the ones with the problem. LETS REFLECT FOR A MOMENT: WHO IS NOT HEALTHY? TONI. WHO HAS MUG SHOTS? TRINA AND TOWANDA. WHO IS ON A MAJOR EGO TRIP AND MARRIED FOR MONEY? TAMAR. SO THERE YOU HAVE IT. MAYBE TRACI IS TREATED LIKE THE OUTCAST BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT SHE IS, A NORMAL PERSON BECAUSE HER SISTERS ARE THE ONELS WITH THE ISSUE. TONI BRAXTON, STILL MARRIED TO A NICE GUY GOES AND KISSES TREY SONGZ ON NATIONAL TV CALLING IT HOT. WHAT’S HOT TO TONI IS EVERYTHING THAT IS EVIL. I WISH TRACI WOULD GO HOME TO MD AND STAY WITH HER CHILD WHO IS ILL WITH JUVENILE ARTHRITIS AND BE WITH HER HUSBAND. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HER DO HER OWN THING AND OPEN UP THAT SALON AND SHOW HER BANKRUPTCY A… SISTER WHO’S BOSS. TONI HAS FILED BANKRUPTCY MORE THAN ONCE AND THAT’S WHAT TRIACI SHOULD HAVE SAID IN COUNSELING AFTER BEING ATTACKED ABOUT HER WEIGHT. INSTEAD SHE BECAME ANGRY AND COULDN’T GET HERSELF TOGETHER. I WOULD HAVE CALMLY SAID TO TONI, WELL I NEED YOU TO STOP FILING BANKRUPTCY, LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS AND THINK OF YOUR CHILDREN FOR ONCE AND STOP KISSING YOUNG MEN ON TV. THE END AND IM DONE WITH BRAXTON FAMILY NON-VALUES BECAUSE THEY SURE AS HELL DON’T HAVE ANY VALUES.

11. Katherine says

There’s nothing wrong with what Toni said. Seems that you forgot to mention the part when Toni said that Traci was not always big. Being naturally heavy is a completely different thing than being fat because of bad eating and sitting around. Toni is the oldest and knows what it’s like to be sick. She’s trying to motivate Traci to lose weight and it worked! Traci took the advice and is now at a healthier weight. Heading for obesity is a “REAL” issue and someone needed to say something before Traci’s weight got out of control. Toni did not “shame” her sister; she told her the truth in a factual manner.

12. JJ says

I agree Katherine that Traci’s weight was unhealthy. I think it would have been better if Toni sat down with her sister one on one (without the others present and millions of people watching) and spoke with her about her health not her weight. The added comment about her belly hanging over not being cute was just even more overboard. I think concern for her sister’s feelings was just as important. Judging by most of the comments on this blog, most agree it certainly lends to pause before speaking. I’m sure the cameras are not rolling all of the time.

13. Vivvy says

Tracy, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your comment…and I believe the only reason Traci Braxton did NOT mention her multiple bankruptcy episodes is because she isn’t as MEAN and EVIL as her sister Toni..boy, Tracy you were dead on with the whole family! great comment

Toni was wrong in the way she handled Traci needs angervmaagemnt loose the weight make Toni eat her comments and form own band Gospel singers Toni knows what they did to Traci back in the day and it was about weight look at how they put Beyonce against Jennifer Hudson she couldbhave stopped it and defendeing her sister pulled her to side many other things Toni was cruel and getting back at them losing weight may be a way to get even everyone is not a size zero