PMM Archives: Putting Together a Portfolio…
Originally published PLUS Model Magazine 5/01/2008
This Month’s Question…
What is the best way to put together a portfolio? What type of pictures should it contain?
The best portfolios are not about quantity, but quality of photos. Your book should at least have the basics which include the following:
1) A headshot/beauty shot.
2) A full body shot
Showing your versatility or different looks is important. Take a look at some plus size magazines, catalogs, store brochures, etc. to see what kind of look is being achieved. The following are looks that most women in my agency have in their books.
1) Beauty shot to show beauty of skin and features. Another with more intense makeup to show a more fashion look
2) Shots that show hair curly, straight, or with different hair styles, weaves, etc
3) Casual look with jeans
4) Business casual look (this is a look that is not jeans nor business suit)
5) Professional look as in business suit
6) Formal wear
7) Urban look and/or lifestyle looks
8) Swimsuit and/or lingerie
9) Tear sheets from past jobs
Of course you don’t want to have your book filled with all these photos from just one photographer. This is a huge investment and it takes time to make your book, so be patient and particular.