She’s Not Plus Size! ASOS Curve Responds to Model Controversy

I have been an ultimate fan and dedicated consumer of the ASOS Curve brand for the past year. I find their clothing to be figure flattering, body conscious, and on trend; which is occasionally difficult to come by as far as plus size fashion goes.

ASOS Curve crosses plus size fashion boundaries by providing plus size women the option to look fabulous, sexy, and pretty; all at the same time, without breaking the bank.

The smaller model featured by ASOS Curve

Just when I think I cannot love this brand anymore, with their desirable style and price tags, I wake up to the following update on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001478035285):

Curvettes we hope you all had a nice weekend.

We just wanted to write a post about our models, as we know there have been some un-happy bloggers writing posts and also comments on here.

In the plus size industry a plus size model is considered anything from a size 12 upwards, silly we know but then the models used on main range are a size 6, and [let’s] face it only a small percentage of the world are a size 6, so shoppers of a size 16 have the same problem as some of you face with visualizing the style on themselves. Curve has always ensured the models used on the site are around a size 16, admittedly some do look just under but happily some over too.

We do appreciate though the new model recently used is far smaller than the standard we set. She is beautiful we know, but we will not be using her again as we do not think it sent out the right message to our shoppers, and we hope we did [not] offend any of you.

Thank you to everyone who filled in our on-line survey, and please be assured we take into account all the messages on here too. We are very happy with the regular models we use, and also our new model we used on our Premium range as we feel all of these offer a plus size look. We do agree though this is an area we can improve on as many of you would like to see clothes on a size 20 model. We hear you but unfortunately this size model is not a standard in the industry and therefore not very easy to find, however this doesn’t mean we don’t try. We really do listen to you, so watch this space x

As a plus size woman, who is a size US 18 / UK 22; I appreciate the fact that ASOS Curve is catering to their consumer and making an effort to listen to the feedback they are receiving and responding appropriately. It is not often that you find a large, reputable retailer listening to their consumer and responding, rather than simply reacting.

PMM Copy Editor, Shannon Hiett wearing ASOS Curve; Size US 18 / UK 22

Plus Size Bodies, What Is Wrong With Them Anyway?

Read the May Swim Issue of PLUS Model Magazine

Comments

1. Super Kakkoii says

I’m 6’1 and a size 18-20.

I understand the point that this is directed from, but I feel as though plus size modelling is to also embrace us in all sizes that is plus size. If we start breaking down more boundaries then we’re not better than the size 6 limitation that high fashion places on the rest of the population.

ASOS has definitely stepped up the game for the plus size clothing industry and this is great as plus size clothing can, a lot of the time – and let’s be frank here, lack any personality.

I have never felt that the model had anything to do with how I perceive the clothes. I look at the item and how it’s going to look good on me. Not how thin her pins are.

I understand that a model wearing the clothes should look like a size 20 but, although I am an 18-20 I get mistaken for being a size 12-14 because of my height. Does that mean if I was to model on that site that I’d have complaints too? Perception is everything unfortunately but perception doesn’t always hold the right truth. Women are beautiful at all sizes!!!!!

2. Tess says

I feel bad for this model who is probably too big to work in standard Size 6 marketing and now too small to work for companies ASOS Curve. While I understand and appreciate what the company has done here, as a size 16 who occasionally looks smaller due to natural proportions… I feel bad that she lost her job.

3. Lakiah E. says

I love how the plus sized consumers are being heard. This will help them go far, but I agree with *Tess*…I also feel sorry for the model. As the plus size modeling industry’s message is to get the world to accept that everyone is not meant to be one size, this is sad. She is not really being accepted by either size and I think that is what lead women to eating disorders. I hope she finds success in her career. However, as a size 16, I still LOVE PPM and look forward to new editions every month. I think you all should keep up the great work!

Size 20+ models are easier to find than one would think….just ask around a bit. I myself am signed with HOP Models & Talent out of Chicago, IL. I’m a size 20-22. :D

5. Esti says

I feel sad for the model, but this is the industry she decided to work for.

And it’s not about a size 20 being better than a size 6, it’s about simple marketing. When I’m shopping online, I have to look at how clothes fit on the model. You can’t know how the clothing moves, how much it can stretch, if it makes your ass huge or your boobs show, just by looking at it on a mannequin. If they want to sell to sizes 0-12, they should have a model around size 6 so most of them can see how that item is going to look on them. And if they’re selling sizes 18-30, they should have a model aroung size 24. Of course this doesn’t happen, they have size 0 and size 18 models.

But by having a size 18, at least I can see if that dress makes the model’s ass huge, or her boobs show, or if it’ll be too short on me. Because that model has a bigger ass, bigger legs, bigger boobs: she IS bigger. I can’t know if my boobs will show if the size 0 model has no boobs. I can’t know if the size 18 will be big enough for me or it will be too short and everybody will see my ass if the model is a size 0. Each line needs a model closer to the customers. Not just because it “looks good”, but because customers NEED to see how they are going to look on those clothes, not how Kate Moss’ ribs will look like.

I agree with Michele . . . It’s not hard to find a size 18 or 20 women, so it shouldn’t be hard to find a model. Check your nearest African American church, city street, library . . .etc. Take initiative . . . develop some new talent. I think that’s a mealy mouthed cop-out. No offense to the mid-size model, but Asos can do better. While they are at it, they can also stop showing their Asos Africa line on Caucasian models. They have a target demographic, and it clearly isn’t me. Unimpressed.

7. vicky says

I think a bigger issue that most posts above seem to be missing (only had time to skim the comments) is that Asos Curve admittedly tries to employ size 16 models (whilst they don’t deny size 12 also qualifies as plus size)- however, their plus size clothing range sizes start at size 18. So if size 12 is plus size, why doesn’t the Asos Curve line start at size 12?