Connect
To Top

Body Shaming Addressed in Latest Issue of PLUS Model Magazine… If you have not had the opportunity to read the editorial, click to view the October 2012 Body Shaming Editorial Featuring Cover Model Ivory Kalber. Then, please scroll to the bottom of this article to  share your opinion with me on this important subject… as always, I’m listening!

Madeline Jones

New York — Oct 10, 2012 / In the October issue of PLUS Model Magazine (PMM), already receiving over 1,000,000 unique page views, Editor-in-Chief, Madeline Jones, tackles head-on the often-controversial subject of ‘body shaming.’  With a creative team including photographer Victoria Janashvili, best known for her viral PMM editorial, PLUS SIZE BODIES, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM ANYWAY?, along with celebrity makeup artist Tara Taylor and wardrobe stylist Reah Norman, PMM brings this important subject to light in a stunning, all-nude editorial featuring plus models.

View the October 2012 Body Shaming Editorial
Featuring Cover Model Ivory Kalber

“Body shaming is present in our lives,” shares Ms. Jones. “This feature came about as a result of the conversations that we see on our social media sites. We see bigger women being put down for being too big but we also see men and women body shaming smaller models for being too small. While we do believe plus size models should be used to market to plus size women, it’s not right to put anyone down because of what they look like. Many times we are so deep in focus that we forget that we could be hurting someone else.”

Not one to turn away from heated conversation and debate, Jones conducted a city-wide casting to find five plus models, all exceedingly confident in their curves, to represent the bodies of women bullied or shamed for their size. The models chosen were Emma Meyer with Ford Models, Laura Johnson with IPM Models, Liris Crosse and Wyinetka with Dorothy Combs Agency and PMM cover model and star of the new reality show Curvy Girls, Ivory Kalber also with Dorothy Combs.

As part of the casting process for the Body-Shaming’ editorial, Ms. Jones along with Tulin Reid, PMM Executive Marketing & Creative Director brought their concept for the October 2012 Love Your Body issue to the producers of nuvoTV’sCurvy Girls’ where they appeared on-air with Reah Norman, PMM Executive Fashion Director.

View the October 2012 Body Shaming Editorial

Featuring Cover Model Ivory Kalber

Photo Credits

• PLUS Model Magazine, October 2012
  • Photography by Victoria Janashvili
  • Wardrobe Stylist by Reah Norman
  • Hair Alicia Fajardo and Daleesa Weary
  • Makeup Artist Tara Taylor and Amanda Vigue

21 Comments

1. Valery Amador

October 10, 2012 at 8:46 pm

RT @plusmodelmag: Should Plus Size Women Be Ashamed of Their Bodies? PLUS Model Magazine Sets the Record Straight http://t.co/lkgxXESp

2. Valery Amador

October 10, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Should Plus Size Women Be Ashamed of Their Bodies? http://t.co/32rNoXLz via @Plusmodelmag

3. Rosalyn Womack HBB

October 10, 2012 at 9:19 pm

#plussize #fashion | Should Plus Size Women Be Ashamed of Their Bodies? PLUS Model Magazine Se… http://t.co/2Pfor35c | @honeybunboutiq

4. Louise Hunter

October 10, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Should Plus Size Women Be Ashamed of Their Bodies? PLUS Model Magazine Sets the Record Straight with Nude Editorial http://t.co/gnEdjjhM

5. Mary

October 10, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I think it is great that the magazine did a feature on this and the picture of the models look fantastic. This is very similar to a project that I did with my friends at a independent vintage styling firm called the “Real Bodies Manifesto”, please check it out @http://www.retrofitrepublic.com/the-real-bodies-manifesto and some behind the scenes on my blog, http://biggirlsrun2.com/2012/09/12/the-real-bodies-manifesto-behind-the-scenes/

6. Kendra Porter

October 11, 2012 at 12:42 am

Should Plus Size Women Be Ashamed of Their Bodies? PLUS Model Magazine Sets the Record Straight with Nude Editorial http://t.co/rAhDCyWt

7. biggirlsrun2

October 11, 2012 at 5:21 am

RT @plusmodelmag: Should Plus Size Women Be Ashamed of Their Bodies? PLUS Model Magazine Sets the Record Straight http://t.co/H7Pcyts6

8. Slickg1

October 11, 2012 at 6:10 am

No way. I mean no disrespect to women in general because I believe in one woman for one man. To make a point as to how beautiful I think these women are, body and face mind you. I wish I could have a plus size model for every day of the week. Stay beautiful, keep your heads held high do what you do, be yourself. God bless you all.

9. Lux Tempo

October 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Thank U Plus Magazine!@plusmodelmag:Should + Size Women Be Ashamed of Their Bodies? PLUS Model Mag Sets Record Straight http://t.co/wBzrbfVc

10. Keith Robertory

October 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm

"Body shaming is present in our lives” and is a form of bullying. Plus Model Mag highlights problem. http://t.co/M29KkAWX (Close to NSFW)

11. Warran Willard

December 23, 2012 at 7:33 pm

When I see women as beautiful as these ladies are, it tells me that they are “real” women. I’m the type of man who loves real women! I salute them and your magazine!

12. best instagram followers

July 2, 2013 at 6:16 am

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this superb blog! I guess for now i’ll settle
    for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to new updates and will talk about this
    site with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

13. Jesse

June 21, 2014 at 9:46 am

Plus size women should NEVER be ashamed of their bodies GOD made them and they are BEAUTIFUL no matter what anyone says in STUPIDTY and IGNORANCE.

14. laquind

September 12, 2014 at 7:27 am

I am so glad to see such positive feed back on your article.il I am a plus size woman and was billed most of my life. But I’ve grown to absolutely love me and ask my curves

15. michael fisher

September 24, 2014 at 1:49 pm

“Be shame of what.Every walk of Life.there is a curvy girl.And finally they are getting their dues.”

16. dr zhivago

October 19, 2014 at 8:50 am

i want to add your website as in my favorites

17. Norman Bradford

December 24, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Soft, warm, and fragrant as an exotic flower; woman is divine and sculptured in the image of God who, in her infinite wisdom, designed woman..

18. Stacey Lynn Fiser

February 20, 2015 at 10:27 am

I’m with notch motels I’m plus size love it

19. johnson

March 24, 2015 at 5:40 am

I love plus size woman to a fault.

20. ELtarrance Smith

May 8, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Plus-Size women shouldn’t never be afraid of their naked bodies. Be proud of your sexy curves because I would love to honor and give you all great compliments.

21. Michelle edmonds

June 1, 2015 at 9:49 pm

I love what your doing. Full figured women should never be ashamed of their self. I would love to model for your magazines.