Actress Gabourey Sidibe Fat-Shamed On Twitter By Fans Of American Horror Story: Coven

alg-gabourey-sidibe-jpg

On the latest season of the TV show American Horror Story, titled Coven, plus size actress Gabourey Sidibe is front and center as Queenie, a young witch with the power of being a human voodoo doll. With veteran actresses Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, and Angela Bassett also on board this season, we were excited to see Gabby not only get a decent supporting role on the show but share the screen with other brilliant actresses that have paved the way for young actresses in Hollywood such as herself.

From the beginning of her career, Gabby has made no apologies about her size and she has never let negative comments or the pressures of Hollywood stop her from pursuing substantial roles on TV shows and films. She has also been very vocal on the importance of confidence and body acceptance. There’s no denying that she’s a brilliant actress with a great personality, who radiates that confidence whenever you see her. She once said:

“One day I decided that I was beautiful, and so I carried out my life as if I was a beautiful girl. I wear colors that I really like, I wear makeup that makes me feel pretty, and it really helps. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the world perceives you. What matters is what you see.”

This, of course, does not stop the negative comments and with the freedom of social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, these comments and negativity keep coming.

Gabby 2

This week’s episode of American Horror Story: Coven had a scene involving Gabby’s character Queenie performing a sexual act in front of a Minotaur. The scene caused such an uproar on Twitter that Bustle.com reported about it with an article titled, “‘AHS: Coven’:  Fans Fat-Shame Gabourey Sidibe On Twitter“. You would think that the comments stemmed from her engaging in a sexual act with a half man, half beast. But no… actually, people were not even talking about that. Instead, all the comments were about her size with many of them not even calling her by her real name or character name. Instead, they call her Precious, a role that she is well-known for.

The comments were not just negative. They were lewd, insulting and just terrible. And they were all centered on how disgusting it was to see her engaging in a sexual act because of her size. Here’s a few of the comments:

Gabourey is going to out run the Minitaur. Didn’t you see her out run those people after she stole the fried chicken in Precious? #AHS”

“The fact I just saw Precious playing with herself has ruined my week #AHS”

“Precious better run from that bull like she ran when she stole that chicken #AHSCoven #AHS”

“Here’s the good news: They r making “Gravity 2″ The bad news: They r starring Gabourey Sidibe in it & the earth comes to her!”

Now we are sure that she was prepared for this type of reaction when she took this role. American Horror Story is a show that is known for its shock value. This is what keeps people watching. So for Gabby to get a role on the show, it was really placing her in a different role than we are used to seeing her in. The character of Queenie gives Gabby the opportunity to act in a role that is not just the typical funny girl or the good girl. Despite Hollywood and its attempts to typecast larger actresses in that typical funny or good girl role, Gabby is showing us that big girls can be more than funny. And big shocker… big girls have sex.

The comments on Twitter really show how much fat-shaming continues to thrive within our society. This paragraph from the Bustle.com article really sums it up:

It’s disgusting to see such blatant hate thrown at a woman whose only crime is not looking like most other women in Hollywood; it’s even worse to see so much of if coming from women on Twitter. But it’s nothing new. When AHS: Coven was creeping into its season, fans took to the brain dump box that is Twitter to express their surprise that Sidibe hadn’t bothered to lose weight to earn her spot on AHS while others simply proliferated unimaginative digs at her size, using hashtags like “#big” and “#scary” to describe her casting.

We should be celebrating the fact that a young African-American plus size woman is landing major roles on TV and in films despite not looking like other Hollywood actresses. But instead the emphasis is placed on her size in a negative light. For American Horror Story: Coven viewers who are disgusted with Gabby’s presence on the show, the answer is simple. Don’t watch.

Gabby said it best in the following quote:

“I learned to love myself, because I sleep with myself every night and I wake up with myself every morning, and if I don’t like myself, there’s no reason to even live the life.”

Well said, Gabby.

To check out the entire Bustle.com article, click here.

To check out Gabourey Sidibe on Twitter, click here.

Comments

Some people just can’t handle her fabulousness. It’s sad that people feel the need to hate based on her size, but it seems those people don’t understand it’s our differences that make us beautiful. I think she rocks in the role.

2. Andrea says

I am happy Gabby is happy with herself. God put everyone where they should be when they should be. I wish I was as confident in myself as she is with herself. I’m a big girl by standards and I’m not comfortable in my skin but I am glad she is. Keep doing such a great job and let the haters continue to motivate you Gabby. Fabulous and fierce is what you are and the stupid people aren’t ready!!!

3. Susan says

I think people are just jealous of her success, so they will criticize and insult for absolutely any reason. She just happens to appear differently than most people in Hollywood so her appearance is an easy target. Remember when people were calling J-Lo fat because you could actually distinguish her bottom from that of a man’s? People will always be mean to those who seem to be happier/have more success than they. I am sure Gabourey is wise enough to know this. She is a goddess, and will not let this affect her. Reading her quotes, she is well beyond the petty. :) You go, Gabourey!

4. Stacey says

Look at the real world. People look like Gabby in the real world! Why are we not allowed to show on American TV, what the real world looks like? Everyone knows that the world is not made up of white, size 2, fake blonde, fake boobed women, so why is that all they will show on TV, and if you try to show something different, people get SO mean!

5. Sandra says

Poor Girl.. Think people forget there is a person behind all of this. She is not a tv og a flatscreen, she is a person. A humanbeeing. Stop hatin’ on people who have accepted their bodies.

6. Heather says

She is a beautiful women and a sassy actress people need to grow up you don’t like it? Don’t watch it I for one well be continuing to watch and love her role as Queenie

7. sarah says

Who cares what she looks like she is straight FUNNY and a great actress. Haters haters everywhere. Don’t be jealous because your not staring in a series on tv.

8. Ralf says

What do you expect from knuckleheads who even found a reason to hate on Miss America for her looks? No offense to any decent person who uses Twitter, but that site is rapidly turning into a cesspit of undereducated, antisocial bigots who compete for the title of the most horrible person alive.

As for Gabourey: I think she is not only a great actress who has shown that she can hold her own next to stars like Kathy Bate and Jessica Lange, she is also quite sexy and exudes a healthy self-confidence that many stick-thin women are lacking. Her excellent performance on American Horror Story has gained at least one new fan over here in Germany.

9. Tabitha says

Girl ur beautiful!!! FK all these hate in bitches and bastareds that’s y ur famouse and their not. They wanna talk shit but they amount to nothing but shit! Ur beautiful talented and u change only when u want too not because everybody else wants u too! Luv u girly keep ur hear up!!

10. Eric says

I love her character, she fits the role so well and she has played the role very well, I also love her chemistry with Kathy Bates as opposites it fits very well(especially in the last episode). The scene in question surprised me, but not in a bad way, just shocked, cause society rarely shows anything but a stick getting sexual, so it was kind of cool to see the show breaking down those walls like that, screw all those haters, I hope she keeps loving herself as she is a great young actress

11. Serena says

She is a wonderful actress and has worked hard to get to where she is. Im glad she accepts her body and by her comments she is well rounded with acting. Go ahead girl keep doing your thing your wonderful.

12. Cathryn says

Those Twitter comments come from jealousy-Gabby is the movie star after all, right? She just glows with self confidence and it burns up those thin, insecure, hungry people who live at the gym.

13. monique says

Why couldnt the little slow girl play with the Minotar…I blame the writers…BTW her name is Gabby not Precious..

14. Marilyn says

To me, the most interesting thing about this is how so many people feel free to fat-shame WOMEN and not MEN! No one picked on John Candy, John Goodman, John Belushi or Chris Farley anywhere near to the degree they pile on Gabby, Kirstie Alley, Roseanne Barr or Melissa McCarthy. Bottom-line, size is a personal issue and it’s always been bad form, not to mention schoolyard-childish, to carry on about someone else’s size. MYOB, folks!

15. Crystal says

I am so disgusted with this whole fat shaming thing. I have had to unfollow friends and family members who have taken pictures and even videos of plus size women out in public just so they can degrade them on social media. It’s completely ignorant and these people should be ashamed for saying and doing such things to others. It’s really sad that the “fat shamers” are really insecure people who get off on making others bad. I’m so glad to hear that Gabby doesn’t let it get to her. Keep on shinning Gabby, you are making us plus size girls proud!

16. Breanna says

I don’t understand people nowadays. I just can’t even put into words how disgusting I find the hypocrisy that some people display. We’re constantly wanting better, prettier, and smarter from other people, but never stop to take a look at ourselves. People always say to be yourself, but only if that self is who they want you to be.

17. venus says

someone here already said this but I think the reason some many women hate on Gabby is becsue she has accept herself. Most of the women writing these stupid dumb, things, are insecure themselves. They know they have given into the pressure of looking like a dead corpse, the are not brave but cowards. So what do cowards do , they try to put other down so they can feel better about themselves. Well I am glad gabby is ont letting these cowards get the best of her, and I hope she does not let these cowards get her down. She is doing fine in hollywood going farther than people thought. She to me is showing what courage is all about.

18. Alex says

I wish women hating on other women’s appearances would stop. Makes me really sad :(. Gabby is wonderful!

19. George Rets says

All comments about her weight aside, it’s her terrible acting that I take issue with. Sidibe ruins every single scene that she’s in. She is horrible.

20. Holly says

I a what some people refer to as a “twig”. But i think Gabby is beautiful and strong as well as other “big” actresses. it disgustes me to see people talk about someone based on their appearance. She is an amazing actress and looks beautiful! Keep it up girl!