PLUS Model Magazine Sound Off: Is This Picture Too Curvy For Comfort?

PLUS Model Magazine Hot Topic: Is This Picture Too Curvy For Comfort?

When Sealed With A Kiss Designs (SWAK) was preparing their ad for the January 2014 issue of PLUS Model Magazine, they wanted to know what their Facebook fans would like to see. So they posted the following image on their Facebook page asking fans to tell them which picture they liked better, A or B, and why. The image with the most votes would be used in the ad.

1412314_10151854954513450_1267320490_o

The image, featuring plus size model Alex LaRosa modeling a bodycon dress in two different ways, generated a huge response but it was one we did not expect. We naturally thought Pic A would win in a landslide since it shows Alex rocking her curves proudly. But, the voting was split in the middle with half of the votes for the bold, curvy pose and the other half going for the more conservative look.  So we wanted to know…

SWAK ad - too curvy - main pic

Check out what Editor-in-Chief Madeline Jones had to say about this hot topic in the January 2014 issue of PLUS Model Magazine, available now online… click here.

In this special PMM Sound Off, we want to know…which pic do you like better? Which pic would you like to see in our magazine? Is it possible for a model to be TOO curvy for the plus size industry? Sound off below by leaving us a comment and letting us know what YOU think.

Please also make sure to check out the entire January 2014 issue, our New Year New You Issue, where we are talking to that important question in the fashion industry: “What is Plus Size?“. There’s 150+ pages of so many wonderful articles, interviews and editorials that are all about starting the new year off in the best way possible.

To check out the entire issue, click here.

Comments

1. Me says

I wouldn’t make a difference between more or less curvy. What counts for me is the image as a whole. I am curvy myself but I don’t like that you can see the commisure of the green dress so prominently. Also, the green dress is just not that beautiful (in my humble opinion). I just don’t like the color, that’s it. I think I may have thought differently about this if the color had been different.

The right picture is just more classy, simple and modest. Also, take a look at the shoes. The nude ones on the right are simply going better with the black dress than the other ones in the left, more curvy version..

Also, the fact that the model in the right picture looks straight into the eyes of the viewer gives the picture a different style. It’s just more inviting to actually look at it, whereas in the left picture, she looks to the side.
    HTH.

My vote is for the curvy picture.

Last year I started using Pinterest and one of the things I decided to do was to pin pictures of plus size ladies. You see those pictures made me really, really uncomfortable, especially since those people look like me and I’d long since trained to view myself as fat and ugly. Any picture of a plus size women made me feel so … challenged.

Part of the problem is we don’t often see pictures of plus size women in mainstream media, TV or movies, and even more rarely in positive situations. We’re all literally trained to see thin women as the only definition of beauty.

Since I’ve started spending part of every day actively searching for photos of curvy women I just love those rocking curves. I’ve learnt to see past the “strangeness” to the beauty that’s really there. Best of all now that I can see beauty in other women I’m so much more accepting of my own curves.

3. Amy says

I prefer B only because I am more conservative and would absolutely wear this dress this way. Picture A is also lovely. B just suited my style better.

4. Donna Murphy says

I prefer the more traditional pose (Picture B) only because the “curvy” pose is odd and looks contrived and uncomfortable. Picture B looks poised and classy. And isn’t classy what we’re going for, as well as sexy?

5. mellbell says

NO NO NO! We have been trained/socialized/humiliated into seeing ourselves as ugly, imperfect and fat. So we have “accepted” that this is the way we SHOULD dress in order to hide ourselves (ie our curves) and be somewhat acceptable by society. Just look at all the catalogs that use models who are too small to wear the clothes they’re trying to sell to US!!

So if we’re going to read a magazine that caters to NORMAL and plus-size women… (the AVERAGE woman is size 14!), they need to represent all of us! (ie photo B for beautiful!) So bring on the curves, and let’s change the stereotype AND the shame!

6. Boomer here says

I pick photo B. With photo 1, I would never try on that dress. I would try it on in photo B, because it makes the model look better. My motto is: if it doesn’t look good on the model, it sure as heck won’t look good on me.

I’ve been hearing for years that plus size gals want to see more curves represented in the fashion industry. Myself included. The average woman is a size 14, so women of this size and larger should technically be represented in the plus size industry. Yet, from time to time, I see articles and comments in forums where the consensus says otherwise. I, personally, think both photos are gorgeous but I’d pick picture A by a landslide. I guess which picture appeals to an individual could be dependent on what their personal style is and also what their comfort level is. Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. :)

8. Candi says

I love the curves on the model in Pic A, but Pic B made the outfit classier. I could not see myself wearing the shoes in Pic A. I really don’t understand why SWAK didn’t do the same pose in both exact outfits. When I shop the whole image does affect how I will imagine myself in the outfit if I were to purchase it.

9. Leanne says

The 50/50 response you received has nothing to do with whether the model is ‘too curvy for comfort’ and more to do with a poorly controlled experiment. Viewers were asked to rate two photos, but the photos differed in too many ways to determine what the deciding factor was. By way of example, the ‘curvy’ photo features a different color dress, no pattern, and the model isn’t looking at the camera. In my personal opinion, this photo also appeared to have poorer lighting (toward the bottom of the photo), the pose felt fake, and the model looked less sexy due to the lack of eye contact. A better experiment would have been to have as similar a photo as possible (for example, same outfit, same lighting, looking at the camera, with her body turned so you could see more curves). Instead, we’re asked to judge two photos, while knowing that the expected ‘body positive’ answer is that the ‘curvy’ photo should be selected, whereas the other photo is simply better quality. Hence the ‘odd’ results. My opinion is that the ‘non curvy’ photo is better for an ad because of the quality of the lighting, the added interest in having something with a pattern on it, and the confidence in the model’s face, but I would want a photo more like the ‘curvy’ one available on the website when purchasing to see how the garment actually fits (although no need for there awkward arm pose). Regardless, the selection still proves nothing about ‘too curvy for comfort.’

10. Neebin says

It is ABSOLUTELY NOT because the picture is “too curvy for comfort” The so-called “experiment” is a misrepresentation of opinion and not much of an experiment at all. Choosing B does not equal not liking a curvy body. It’s a false assertion. I voted on the pictures in question myself. While I loved the pose of A and have zero qualms with the woman’s body, the photo was not as well edited, and some people had a problem with the way the seam crossed her leg. The other outfit was more visually interesting, although the pose was neutral. So it’s not that people simply didn’t like a curvy woman. As I said, I loved the pose, I think the model is cute period, but if you’re going to run an ad, it’s got to have good lighting, good colors, a good background, etc, and B does a better job. Frankly, both photos could be better edited.

11. Daniel says

Can’t believe there aren’t more comments on the fact that this is just a really bad photo. (a) It doesn’t add curves but more of an abnormality that I know doesn’t exist on this model, plus size or not. Take a better pic of her real and not OVERLY exaggerated curves and get some real opinions. I’m assuming most of the 50% for are sympathetic voters.

1. […] Alex LaRosa, a self-proclaimed “plus-size model who’s visibly plus-size,” was onHuffPost Live to talk about some of her issues with these discrepancies: […]