“Right now hot dresses range from dazzling sequins to high-low skirts to sassy, short Prom styles,” says Phyllis Brasch Librach, president and founder of Sydney’s Closet, a St. Louis-based company that designs plus size Prom dresses. Also in big demand: flowing chiffon formal gowns embellished with oversized stones and beading,” says Librach.
For teens on the hunt for the perfect 2012 Prom dress, it’s a real fashion jungle out there. Animal prints in updated patterns and dramatic colors are super popular. “The girls love SC7011, a dress we just had to name ‘Animal Magnetism’,” says Librach. “The abstract print chiffon dress combines bursts of orange and purple with leopard spots. The unexpected combination makes a very bold fashion statement.”
For the girl who dreams of being the Prom Princess who charms Prince Charming, only a ball gown will do for the big night. “Our best-selling ball gown, SC3018, is a tulle A-line strapless with a figure-flattering pleated waistband in rich jewel tones,” says Librach. “We know one reason ‘Starry Nights’ is flying out the door is that the dress was featured in February 2012 issue of O, The Oprah magazine.”
Every year the fashion stylists at Sydney’s Closet round up what’s hot for Prom dresses. For Prom 2012, they share these Top Ten Prom dress trends:
2. Net Effect! Tulle takes over taffeta for the must-have fabric on any Cinderella ball gown.
3. Fashion Scoop! Dish up yummy shades of ice cream flavors like pistachio or blueberry for a delicious look.
4. Short Story! Forget going to great lengths to be on trend. Short Prom dresses above the knee are so sexy and in.
5. Mirror, Mirror! Geometric shapes of chunky stones and gems create a trendy reflection of your fashion power.
6. Jungle Fever! Wild animal prints in colorful combinations are sure to get noticed in the fashion kingdom.
7. Dangerous Curves! Mermaid style Prom dresses show off your great curves in body-hugging designs.
8. Make Waves! Ruffles create an oh-so frilly detail when layered on skirts or just accenting a strap.
9. White On! Why wait until you walk down the aisle? Prom is a great night to wear white or off white and stand out in a sea of color.
10. Get Spotted! Huge polka dots that burst with color in eye-catching hues make for a playful look.