It’s finally summer time for us in the Northeast. I am overjoyed for the warmer weather, singing birds, and summer cleaning. I’m not referring simply to putting away all my winter gear, but cleaning out all the inner baggage that’s accumulated over the past months: self-doubt, insecurity and resentment.
With new growth around us, it is important to take the time to assess our own new growth and what we are nurturing on the inside. It is the perfect time to reflect and address things that you want to improve upon, change, enhance, or even get rid of.
What’s On My List?
- Celebrating All Victories – While it’s standard to celebrate and be happy with big accomplishments, we often neglect to acknowledge or even celebrate small everyday victories. Every single victory and achievement gets you one step closer to who you want to be in a month, three months, a year and beyond! It’s much easier to improve 1% every day than aiming for 100% and feeling dejected if you come up short.
- Unplugging from the Matrix – I love the internet and social media. I can’t even imagine how I lived before Facebook. But I’ve started to realize that I only have one set of eyes, and when they’re glued to a phone or a monitor/TV, they’re not experiencing everything else that’s beautiful around me. There’s an undeniable contrast when I turn off the computer and take a walk in the park and see, smell, hear and feel the world around me.
- Indulging In My Hobbies Guilt Free – I love coloring, reading, listening to music and talking ‘till the sun comes down. Yes, you still need to be productive and progress toward your goals, but you also need to be happy and fulfilled on a deeper level beyond productivity. Taking the time to make yourself smile will make you even more productive and successful on your personal and professional journey.
- Start Now – So many women I speak with have great ideas for businesses they want to start or experiences they want to have. However, they often speak of them as things for the future. One of my favorite quotes is: “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” Why hesitate? Oftentimes, the reasons we give ourselves are just excuses. Whether it means buying a book or two, taking a class and/or getting a coach or a mentor, you can start working towards your dreams now. There’s no investment better than the one you make in yourself, so let’s get it done!
- Clean House – I mean this, physically and mentally. If you feel the need to purge your closet, organize your office, or empty out those purses, then it means you’re ready to move forward. The physical act of cleaning/organizing will naturally lead to a sense of clarity and mental decluttering. Our physical environment impacts us in subtle ways that accumulate over time; the more physical clutter you acquire, the more mental blockage that results. Start asking yourself if you really need that faded shirt from high school that you keep telling yourself you’ll wear.
Now, I want to know…What is on your list?