Gabourey Sidibe to Keynote the Fourth Annual theCURVYcon powered by Dia&Co During New York Fashion Week
The three-day convention for plus size fashion returns to NYC September 6-8 making its mark on the fashion scene, featuring Keynote Gabourey Sidibe!
theCURVYcon, a three-day convention celebrating the plus size community, will return to New York Fashion Week on September 6-8 at a new location, Center 415. theCURVYcon, in its four-year existence, has now activated two years in a row during New York Fashion Week and continues to break barriers by creating a hub for plus size fashion on Fashion’s biggest stage. Powered by, the fourth annual event will connect body positive and plus size influencers, celebrities and tastemakers and their fans while focusing on the fashion community. The action-packed schedule will include a keynote conversation with Award winning actor and author, Gabourey Sidibe, appearances by WWE Superstars and stars of E! Total Divas Brie Bella, Nikki Bella and Nia Jax, a panel and presentation co-hosted by Dia&Co and the Council of Fashion Designers of America featuring musician Lizzo and designer Tracy Reese, a runway show presented by LOFT, pop-up shops, panels, and for the first time, workshops to dig deeper into topics like fashion inclusivity and self-love.
theCURVYcon was co-founded in 2015 by lifestyle influencers Chastity Garner Valentine, Founder ofand CeCe Olisa, Founder of .
The first year, Garner Valentine and Olisa raised the seed money for theCURVYcon by selling the clothes out of their closets. Now after three sold-out years, they are set to more than triple the size of the event in response to overwhelming demand. Ticket are, and expected to sell out again.
“This has been a grassroots movement from the beginning,” said Olisa. “We’ve created an in-person experience that reflects the powerful body positive movement happening online. At the same time, we continue to break down barriers in the fashion industry by aligning plus size fashion with mainstream fashion during New York Fashion Week.”
Chastity Garner Valentine said, “Our goal is to facilitate change in the fashion industry. There is still much work to be done, but we are excited to see the conversation on size diversity and inclusivity more forward every year.”
Yahoo Lifestyle will also return as the exclusive livestream partner with full coverage of the event program as well as additional content on Yahoo.com/lifestyle.
More than thirty brands, including title sponsor Dia&Co, LOFT, Fit for Me by Fruit of the Loom, JCPenney, Macy’s, Old Navy, Target, and more are coming together to produce three days of fashion, fitness, and fun.
theCURVYcon highlights will include:
- Keynote fireside conversation with Gabourey Sidibe, moderated by Chastity Garner Valentine and CeCe Olisa. Topics of discussion will include finding body positivity while in the public eye, confidence and personal style.
- In a “Body Positive Besties” panel, WWE Superstars and stars of E! Total Divas Brie Bella, Nikki Bella and Nia Jax, will discuss how to support friends during their journey to love their bodies.
- Dia&Co and the Council of Fashion Designers of America will kick off a new partnership by co-hosting a presentation and panel conversation on the future of inclusivity in fashion. The panel will include Dia&Co co-founder and CEO Nadia Boujarwah, CFDA Director of Education + Professional Development Sara Kozlowski, designer and CFDA board member Tracy Reese, and musician and body positive advocate Lizzo.
- LOFT’s exclusive runway show on Friday evening will showcase shoppable styles from the fall collection, highlighting the brand’s penchant for color, print and pattern. In keeping with LOFT’s broadly embracing and inclusive spirit, the brand will hold an open casting call to give attendees the opportunity to be part of the fashion show, a first for theCURVYcon.
- Curves With Moves fitness session presented by Target: Jessie Diaz will bring guests a fun hip hop class that will be sure to make them feel sassy (and a little sweaty). They will start off with body positive affirmations and kick it up a notch with dance moves across the floor. The fitness class will continue with high energy choreography followed by mini performances.
- The popular plus size pop-up shop on Friday and Saturday, where attendees can shop their favorite brands and discover new ones while hanging out with friends and exploring other activations throughout the day in the lounge. The pop-up shops will feature a new Indy Designer Row this year, providing access to up-and-coming fashion brands including Astra Signature, JIBRI, Rebdolls, Rue 107 and Smash Shoes.
- Attendees will also be the first to view and shop the brand new collection by designer Tamara Malas, inclusive of sizes 14-32.
For the first time in theCURVYcon’s history, there will be multiple workshops happening throughout Saturday.
Additional sponsors include Big Fig Mattress, Carol’s Daughter, Celebrity Pink, Curvy Sense, Eloquii, Fashion to Figure, Hanky Panky, Lane Bryant, Levi’s, Maree Pour Toi, ModCloth, MySizeID, Parfait Lingerie, Rachel Roy, Simply Be, Sock it to Me, and Tamara Malas.
More information available online at thecurvycon.com
Photo Credit: Bryan Bedder/Getty